Teenager Realizes His Dream to Play Golf
May 20, 2010
By TPC Staff
RALEIGH, N.C.—During the Nationwide Tour’s Rex Hospital Open, TPC Wakefield Plantation proved that individuals can truly make a difference. Its staff and members team worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Rex Hospital to grant the wish of 14-year-old Nathan Woodward, who has muscular dystrophy, as does his mother and brother.
Woodward’s activities are severely limited due to his MD, a hereditary condition in which the muscles become progressively weaker. But the TPC Wakefield Plantation team, led by Director of Sales and Marketing Michael Thomas, made sure Woodward’s wish to learn to play golf is something he can do for a long time.
Woodward and his family were invited to the club for what turned out to be a magical day. In addition to receiving a golf lesson, Woodward was presented with a one-year membership to TPC Wakefield Plantation, a new set of clubs and a series of golf lessons to be taken throughout the year with the club’s professional golf staff.
“In our world of “can’ts, due to stairs, Nathan can’t get into most of our friends’ homes for a sleepover. Due to low seats, Nathan can’t get out of a movie theater chair, and due to low seats at school, he can’t sit next to his best friend,” said Woodward’s mother, Lorraine. “But on May 20 at TPC Wakefield Plantation, our world was all about what Nathan can do—playing golf with his friends, going to the driving range and going out and putt all day long. We know he will be hanging out at the club for the next 12 months. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for making Nathan’s wish come true.”
Woodward’s family was so overwhelmed by these gestures that they created a video thank-you card expressing their appreciation. To view this card, click on the video on the right.
- Smith turns a good laugh at the Wells Fargo Championship into a great cause 05/22/2013
- Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort 05/22/2013
- Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims 05/22/2013
- Support Oklahoma tornado victims 05/22/2013
- PGA TOUR players pledge support to Oklahoma tornado victims 05/21/2013
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013