Teenager Realizes His Dream to Play Golf
May 20, 2010
By TPC Staff
RALEIGH, N.C.—During the Nationwide Tour’s Rex Hospital Open, TPC Wakefield Plantation proved that individuals can truly make a difference. Its staff and members team worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Rex Hospital to grant the wish of 14-year-old Nathan Woodward, who has muscular dystrophy, as does his mother and brother.
Woodward’s activities are severely limited due to his MD, a hereditary condition in which the muscles become progressively weaker. But the TPC Wakefield Plantation team, led by Director of Sales and Marketing Michael Thomas, made sure Woodward’s wish to learn to play golf is something he can do for a long time.
Woodward and his family were invited to the club for what turned out to be a magical day. In addition to receiving a golf lesson, Woodward was presented with a one-year membership to TPC Wakefield Plantation, a new set of clubs and a series of golf lessons to be taken throughout the year with the club’s professional golf staff.
“In our world of “can’ts, due to stairs, Nathan can’t get into most of our friends’ homes for a sleepover. Due to low seats, Nathan can’t get out of a movie theater chair, and due to low seats at school, he can’t sit next to his best friend,” said Woodward’s mother, Lorraine. “But on May 20 at TPC Wakefield Plantation, our world was all about what Nathan can do—playing golf with his friends, going to the driving range and going out and putt all day long. We know he will be hanging out at the club for the next 12 months. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for making Nathan’s wish come true.”
Woodward’s family was so overwhelmed by these gestures that they created a video thank-you card expressing their appreciation. To view this card, click on the video on the right.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013