February 11, 2011
By Dave Senko-PGA TOUR
BOCA RATON, FLA. --Allianz Championship officials introduced a new wrinkle to help raise money for charity this year with the addition of the inaugural Fairways 5K Run on Saturday morning prior to the start of the second round of the Allianz Championship.
Despite cool, rainy weather, 150 runners took part in the race which was held over the back nine holes of the Old Course at Broken Sound. Participants paid an entry fee of $30 with proceeds going to the Boca Raton Regional Hospital, the Allianz Championship’s primary charity for 2011.
Runners ranged in age from eight to 69 and each participant received a tee-shirt. Prizes were also awarded to the top finishers in each of the age groups.
“It was a great day for our first-ever Fairways 5K Run,” said Tournament Director Ryan Dillon. “We had 150 runners and while the rain may have scared away a few others, we definitely built a very good foundation for this race and raised a lot of money for charity. We plan to do this annually and we can’t wait to do it again next year.”
Anna Mahoney, a 16-year-old from Boca Raton was the overall winner of the women’s race, while Josh Perterson, an 18-year-old from Boca Raton, was the overall men’s winner.
Three members of the Champions Tour field staff competed in the race, including Tournament Director of Competition and Rules Brian Claar, who finished second in his age group (50-54). Joining Claar in the race were Tournament Operations staffer Patrick McVerry and Champions Tour meteorologist Willis Young.
“I run quite a few races throughout the year and all of these raise money for various charities,” said Claar, who has also run in the Boston Marathon. “Running is really growing in the United States and most runners are looking for races, especially with ones that benefit charities. I had heard some competitors at the start of the race talking about going to the golf tournament after the race. These races also raise awareness of a golf tournament in these areas, hopefully bringing fans out who might not otherwise attend.”
“It's also quite a treat to run around a golf course,” added Claar, summing up the day perfectly. “It made the race go by fast as the course made for beautiful scenery!”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017