Birdies for the Brave Launches Partnership with Dick’s Sporting Goods
May 31, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.—Dick’s Sporting Goods and the PGA TOUR share a passion for giving back to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families. As part of a new partnership between Dick’s Sporting Goods and Birdies for the Brave, a national military outreach initiative supported by the TOUR, nearly 450 Dick’s Sporting Goods retail stores across the U.S. will help honor and support our military by conducting an in-store fundraising campaign that began Memorial Day and will run through the Fourth of July.
During this special promotional period, customers will have the opportunity to make a donation of $1, $5 or $10 to Birdies for the Brave at the cash register. t the end of the fundraising campaign, Dick’s will match donated funds, up to $250,000.
Funds raised through this special program will benefit nine military home-front groups that are part of Birdies for the Brave, supported by PGA TOUR players. They are:
- Green Beret Foundation (www.greenberetfoundation.org) supported by Bubba Watson
- Homes for Our Troops (www.homesforourtroops.org) and Special Operations Warrior Foundation (www.specialops.org) supported by Phil Mickelson
- Military Warriors Support Foundation (www.militarywarriors.org) supported by Ted Purdy
- Navy SEAL Foundation (www.nswfoundation.org) supported by Jerry Kelly
- Operation Homefront (www.operationhomefront.net) supported by Corey Pavin
- United Through Reading (www.unitedthroughreading.org) supported by Rory Sabbatini
- Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org) supported by Frank Lickliter II, Jason Gore, Nick Watney and Boo Weekley
- National Guard State Family Readiness Council (www.nationalguardsfrc.org) supported by Jim Colbert
“We are thrilled to work in partnership with Dick’s Sporting Goods to raise funds for our American heroes and their families, who sacrifice so much in service to our country,” said David Pillsbury, PGA TOUR Golf Course Properties President and Executive Vice President, Championship Management.
“Members of our military put their lives on the line every day so that all Americans can enjoy a quality of life and level of freedom unmatched around the world. This is one way that we can express our gratitude, while supporting military home-front groups that do an extraordinary job of providing critical programs and services to meet the specialized needs of wounded warriors and military families,” Pillsbury continued.
Dick’s Sporting Goods Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Lauren Hobart echoed those sentiments, saying, “We are delighted to partner with the PGA TOUR and Birdies for the Brave on this unique fundraising initiative, which will go a long way toward helping our brave military men and women heal, thrive, and transition to civilian life.”
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013
- Kate & Justin Rose Foundation helps Orlando student share love of reading 11/25/2013
- VIDEO: 2012 Travelers Championship Charity Celebration 11/24/2013
- Chappell builds support for cancer program at Children's Hospital Central California 11/22/2013
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out 11/22/2013
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $55,000 donation from 2013 Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 11/22/2013