Birdies for the Brave Launches Partnership with Dick’s Sporting Goods
May 31, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.—Dick’s Sporting Goods and the PGA TOUR share a passion for giving back to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families. As part of a new partnership between Dick’s Sporting Goods and Birdies for the Brave, a national military outreach initiative supported by the TOUR, nearly 450 Dick’s Sporting Goods retail stores across the U.S. will help honor and support our military by conducting an in-store fundraising campaign that began Memorial Day and will run through the Fourth of July.
During this special promotional period, customers will have the opportunity to make a donation of $1, $5 or $10 to Birdies for the Brave at the cash register. t the end of the fundraising campaign, Dick’s will match donated funds, up to $250,000.
Funds raised through this special program will benefit nine military home-front groups that are part of Birdies for the Brave, supported by PGA TOUR players. They are:
- Green Beret Foundation (www.greenberetfoundation.org) supported by Bubba Watson
- Homes for Our Troops (www.homesforourtroops.org) and Special Operations Warrior Foundation (www.specialops.org) supported by Phil Mickelson
- Military Warriors Support Foundation (www.militarywarriors.org) supported by Ted Purdy
- Navy SEAL Foundation (www.nswfoundation.org) supported by Jerry Kelly
- Operation Homefront (www.operationhomefront.net) supported by Corey Pavin
- United Through Reading (www.unitedthroughreading.org) supported by Rory Sabbatini
- Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org) supported by Frank Lickliter II, Jason Gore, Nick Watney and Boo Weekley
- National Guard State Family Readiness Council (www.nationalguardsfrc.org) supported by Jim Colbert
“We are thrilled to work in partnership with Dick’s Sporting Goods to raise funds for our American heroes and their families, who sacrifice so much in service to our country,” said David Pillsbury, PGA TOUR Golf Course Properties President and Executive Vice President, Championship Management.
“Members of our military put their lives on the line every day so that all Americans can enjoy a quality of life and level of freedom unmatched around the world. This is one way that we can express our gratitude, while supporting military home-front groups that do an extraordinary job of providing critical programs and services to meet the specialized needs of wounded warriors and military families,” Pillsbury continued.
Dick’s Sporting Goods Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Lauren Hobart echoed those sentiments, saying, “We are delighted to partner with the PGA TOUR and Birdies for the Brave on this unique fundraising initiative, which will go a long way toward helping our brave military men and women heal, thrive, and transition to civilian life.”
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013