TPC Members and The First Tee Raise Money for Local After-School Program
July 11, 2011
By Michael Curet, special to Together, Anything's Possible
MAINEVILLE, OH. -- As if local kids were not already excited enough about the 2011 Chiquita Classic coming to their backyard at TPC River's Bend July 14-17, this fall it will be their turn to get on the golf course -- all being made possible by The First Tee and members of TPC's River's Bend.
When school resumes in a few weeks, The First Tee of Greater Miami Valley will launch an after-school program with South Lebanon Elementary School, adjacent to TPC River's Bend.
In the June 16-18 Men's Member-Guest at TPC River's Bend, $3000 was raised by 60 teams paying $50 each in a closest-to-the-hole contest on the course's signature hole No. 7 -- a picturesque 158-yard, par 3 featuring an elevated tee and carry over water. The money raised will fund the program which will be run by The First Tee of Greater Miami Valley and TPC River's Bend will directly be credited with sponsoring the program.
"The First Tee is an important partner of ours," said TPC River's Bend General Manager Jack Hunter. "To be able to work with them and have our members participate the way they did to help The First Tee start an after-school program says a lot about the membership we have and our relationship. It shows that our members understand the philanthropy piece of the PGA TOUR and TPC Network."
The winner of the closest-to-the-pin contest was TPC River's Bend Member Louis Guttman, who stuck a shot within two feet, five inches and won a certificate for a foursome to play in the 2012 First Tee Greater Miami Valley golf outing.
"It's great to know that these kids will be able to use golf as a catalyst to learn basic life skills," said Hunter.
The First Tee of the Greater Miami Valley was founded in October 2004 and was formerly the not-for-profit Bob Kramer Youth Golf Academy.
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013
- Kate & Justin Rose Foundation helps Orlando student share love of reading 11/25/2013
- VIDEO: 2012 Travelers Championship Charity Celebration 11/24/2013
- Chappell builds support for cancer program at Children's Hospital Central California 11/22/2013
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out 11/22/2013
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $55,000 donation from 2013 Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 11/22/2013