TPC Members and The First Tee Raise Money for Local After-School Program
July 11, 2011
By Michael Curet, special to Together, Anything's Possible
MAINEVILLE, OH. -- As if local kids were not already excited enough about the 2011 Chiquita Classic coming to their backyard at TPC River's Bend July 14-17, this fall it will be their turn to get on the golf course -- all being made possible by The First Tee and members of TPC's River's Bend.
When school resumes in a few weeks, The First Tee of Greater Miami Valley will launch an after-school program with South Lebanon Elementary School, adjacent to TPC River's Bend.
In the June 16-18 Men's Member-Guest at TPC River's Bend, $3000 was raised by 60 teams paying $50 each in a closest-to-the-hole contest on the course's signature hole No. 7 -- a picturesque 158-yard, par 3 featuring an elevated tee and carry over water. The money raised will fund the program which will be run by The First Tee of Greater Miami Valley and TPC River's Bend will directly be credited with sponsoring the program.
"The First Tee is an important partner of ours," said TPC River's Bend General Manager Jack Hunter. "To be able to work with them and have our members participate the way they did to help The First Tee start an after-school program says a lot about the membership we have and our relationship. It shows that our members understand the philanthropy piece of the PGA TOUR and TPC Network."
The winner of the closest-to-the-pin contest was TPC River's Bend Member Louis Guttman, who stuck a shot within two feet, five inches and won a certificate for a foursome to play in the 2012 First Tee Greater Miami Valley golf outing.
"It's great to know that these kids will be able to use golf as a catalyst to learn basic life skills," said Hunter.
The First Tee of the Greater Miami Valley was founded in October 2004 and was formerly the not-for-profit Bob Kramer Youth Golf Academy.
- Smith turns a good laugh at the Wells Fargo Championship into a great cause 05/22/2013
- Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort 05/22/2013
- Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims 05/22/2013
- Support Oklahoma tornado victims 05/22/2013
- PGA TOUR players pledge support to Oklahoma tornado victims 05/21/2013
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013