The Results Are In
March 29, 2010
By Nelson Silverio, PGA TOUR Staff
PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico—As part of its ongoing commitment to the Playa del Carmen and Cancun communities, the Mayakoba Golf Classic launched a new initiative in 2010 where local charities were given the opportunity to sell tickets to Mexico’s Only PGA TOUR Event with all revenue going directly to the charitable organizations and their programs. The Charity Ticket Program generated more than 118,000 pesos (equivalent of nearly $10,000 US dollars) for nine local charities in the greater Playa del Carmen and Cancun areas. In addition to the entire cost of the tickets sold being distributed to the charity which sold them, the tournament offered a $3,000 US dollar bonus to the charity that drove the most attendance to the event. Tickets sold through the program contained folio numbers which were used to track attendance. The Rotary Club of Playa del Carmen topped the Tickets for Charity bonus leaderboard.
“Thank you very much to the Mayakoba Golf Classic for always considering us here at the Rotary Club for this event and giving us the confidence and ability to benefit those with the greatest need in our community,” said Santiago Morfin, president of the Rotary Club of Playa del Carmen. “This financial support is going to be invested in the importation of a container with hundreds of wheelchairs to be donated to all those who require the use of a wheelchair but lack the resources to obtain one. This support will benefit the individuals here in our community and in the surrounding rural zones.”
Eight other charities participated and obtained funds through the program. Among them were Malix-Pek Animal Shelter, Flora, Fauna y Cultura de México (environmental and cultureal education group), Un Hogar con Amor (children’s home), Rotary Club of Cancún, City of Joy Foundation, Bomberos de la Riviera Maya (volunteer firefighters) and Centro Equinoterapia de la Riviera Maya (an organization that uses horses and horse riding as therapeutic treatment for children with disabilities).
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial activates Texas-Oklahoma storm relief support with American Red Cross 05/23/2013
- Smith turns a good laugh at the Wells Fargo Championship into a great cause 05/22/2013
- Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort 05/22/2013
- Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims 05/22/2013
- Support Oklahoma tornado victims 05/22/2013
- PGA TOUR players pledge support to Oklahoma tornado victims 05/21/2013
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013