Ryan House is the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
January 3, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
Ryan House, an Arizona non-profit that began with a group of volunteers in 2003, provides essential care in a home-like setting where children with life-threatening conditions and their families may come for respite and, as needed, end-of-life care. All services at Ryan House are guided by the principles of pediatric palliative care.
“Congratulations to Ryan House for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year, and to the Waste Management Phoenix Open and The Thunderbirds for their support of Ryan House,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “Ryan House has embraced and assisted thousands of Arizona families with children in need, providing physical comfort in a nurturing environment, and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to support the overall operating expenses of Ryan House.
“Like so many, I have marveled at and been inspired by a professional golfer’s tenacity and drive to achieve both greatness and success on the course,” said Debbie Simmons, executive director of Ryan House. “I am more inspired, however, when that same greatness is displayed by them off the course. Ryan House is so very grateful that The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open continue to support this community in ways such as this.”
“On behalf of The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open, we are thrilled Ryan House has won this prestigious award,” said David Rauch, big chief of the Thunderbirds, the host organization of the Waste Management Phoenix Open. “Ryan House is the first of its kind in the country and is a model for other communities for emulate. We look forward to the continued support of Ryan House, as this organization provides a tremendous service to families in our community.”
In its 75th anniversary in 2010, the Waste Management Phoenix Open crossed the $65-million mark in charitable donations, thanks to the overwhelming community support of the event.
- Shaw Communications announces campaign to benefit Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation 07/25/2014
- BMW Championship exhibition raises $45,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 07/24/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives partner with Midwest Classic to create "Camp Quality Baskets" 07/23/2014
- Jarrod Lyle: A survivor seeking to help others 07/22/2014
- Fred Couples joins Snoqualmie Showdown charity event on August 4 07/22/2014
- Darren Clarke receives Golf Foundation's ‘Spirit of Golf’ award 07/21/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee visits The Greenbrier Classic 07/17/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour players shop for charity during Albertsons Boise Open 07/17/2014
- WATCH: Zach Johnson on his annual charity event benefitting Kids on Course 07/15/2014
- WATCH: Jay Haas, William McGirt talk about The Blade Junior Classic 07/15/2014