Ryan House is the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
January 3, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
Ryan House, an Arizona non-profit that began with a group of volunteers in 2003, provides essential care in a home-like setting where children with life-threatening conditions and their families may come for respite and, as needed, end-of-life care. All services at Ryan House are guided by the principles of pediatric palliative care.
“Congratulations to Ryan House for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year, and to the Waste Management Phoenix Open and The Thunderbirds for their support of Ryan House,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “Ryan House has embraced and assisted thousands of Arizona families with children in need, providing physical comfort in a nurturing environment, and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to support the overall operating expenses of Ryan House.
“Like so many, I have marveled at and been inspired by a professional golfer’s tenacity and drive to achieve both greatness and success on the course,” said Debbie Simmons, executive director of Ryan House. “I am more inspired, however, when that same greatness is displayed by them off the course. Ryan House is so very grateful that The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open continue to support this community in ways such as this.”
“On behalf of The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open, we are thrilled Ryan House has won this prestigious award,” said David Rauch, big chief of the Thunderbirds, the host organization of the Waste Management Phoenix Open. “Ryan House is the first of its kind in the country and is a model for other communities for emulate. We look forward to the continued support of Ryan House, as this organization provides a tremendous service to families in our community.”
In its 75th anniversary in 2010, the Waste Management Phoenix Open crossed the $65-million mark in charitable donations, thanks to the overwhelming community support of the event.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014