Ryan House is the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
January 3, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
Ryan House, an Arizona non-profit that began with a group of volunteers in 2003, provides essential care in a home-like setting where children with life-threatening conditions and their families may come for respite and, as needed, end-of-life care. All services at Ryan House are guided by the principles of pediatric palliative care.
“Congratulations to Ryan House for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year, and to the Waste Management Phoenix Open and The Thunderbirds for their support of Ryan House,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “Ryan House has embraced and assisted thousands of Arizona families with children in need, providing physical comfort in a nurturing environment, and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to support the overall operating expenses of Ryan House.
“Like so many, I have marveled at and been inspired by a professional golfer’s tenacity and drive to achieve both greatness and success on the course,” said Debbie Simmons, executive director of Ryan House. “I am more inspired, however, when that same greatness is displayed by them off the course. Ryan House is so very grateful that The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open continue to support this community in ways such as this.”
“On behalf of The Thunderbirds and the Waste Management Phoenix Open, we are thrilled Ryan House has won this prestigious award,” said David Rauch, big chief of the Thunderbirds, the host organization of the Waste Management Phoenix Open. “Ryan House is the first of its kind in the country and is a model for other communities for emulate. We look forward to the continued support of Ryan House, as this organization provides a tremendous service to families in our community.”
In its 75th anniversary in 2010, the Waste Management Phoenix Open crossed the $65-million mark in charitable donations, thanks to the overwhelming community support of the event.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015