Something to Cheer About
September 12, 2011
The Presidents Cup has grown from little more than an idea in the early 1990s to one of the most anticipated events on golf’s global calendar. Along the way, this world-class competition has not only brought together the game’s best, but has also established itself as an event that stands for international goodwill and a positive, charitable impact across the globe.
Unlike most sporting events, players are not paid for their participation in The Presidents Cup; there is no purse or prize money. Instead, each competitor designates charities or golf-related projects of his choice to receive a portion of the funds raised through the staging of each Presidents Cup. In total, more than $23 million has been distributed to at least 380 charities in 15 countries since the inception of The Presidents Cup in 1994.
With players, captains and captains’ assistants hailing from dozens of countries, their donations have positively impacted a variety of charitable causes around the world. From funding for teachers and facilities in earthquake-ravaged Haiti to support for programs that bring golf to the disabled in South Africa; from providing school lunches for underprivileged children in South Korea to medical care for neglected animals in Greenville, South Carolina; from scholarships for children of fallen California firefighters to addiction recovery programs in Australia – these are but a few examples of the myriad ways those involved in The Presidents Cup have been able to affect change in their communities, home countries and globally.
When a sporting event is contested within this framework, there are only winners – on and off the golf course – no matter what the outcome of the competition.
Click on the players image to read some letters sent to past Presidents Cup team members from the charities they support. Please check back weekly for the latest letters.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Evansville Community Benefits from Web.com Tour Event 04/27/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016