Something to Cheer About
September 12, 2011
The Presidents Cup has grown from little more than an idea in the early 1990s to one of the most anticipated events on golf’s global calendar. Along the way, this world-class competition has not only brought together the game’s best, but has also established itself as an event that stands for international goodwill and a positive, charitable impact across the globe.
Unlike most sporting events, players are not paid for their participation in The Presidents Cup; there is no purse or prize money. Instead, each competitor designates charities or golf-related projects of his choice to receive a portion of the funds raised through the staging of each Presidents Cup. In total, more than $23 million has been distributed to at least 380 charities in 15 countries since the inception of The Presidents Cup in 1994.
With players, captains and captains’ assistants hailing from dozens of countries, their donations have positively impacted a variety of charitable causes around the world. From funding for teachers and facilities in earthquake-ravaged Haiti to support for programs that bring golf to the disabled in South Africa; from providing school lunches for underprivileged children in South Korea to medical care for neglected animals in Greenville, South Carolina; from scholarships for children of fallen California firefighters to addiction recovery programs in Australia – these are but a few examples of the myriad ways those involved in The Presidents Cup have been able to affect change in their communities, home countries and globally.
When a sporting event is contested within this framework, there are only winners – on and off the golf course – no matter what the outcome of the competition.
Click on the players image to read some letters sent to past Presidents Cup team members from the charities they support. Please check back weekly for the latest letters.
- Copy of Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016
- Fleur de Lis artwork benefits Fore!Kids Foundation at Zurich Classic 05/10/2016