Operation Shower Reins in Support for Military Moms-to-Be
January 23, 2012
By PGA TOUR Staff
LA JOLLA, Calif.—Forty military moms-to-be, whose spouses are deployed members of the U.S. Navy SEALs, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marines and California Army National Guard, attended a group baby shower co-hosted by Operation Shower, Birdies for the Brave and Datron World Communications on Jan. 24 at in the San Diego Padres’ Military Appreciation Pavilion at Torrey Pines Golf Course, site of the Farmers Insurance Open.
Operation Shower Founder and “Chief Shower Officer” LeAnn Morrissey points out that Operation Shower, supported by Birdies for the Brave, was created specifically to honor military moms.
“Without their spouses by their side, [and] deployed to another part of the world, these moms deserve our support, our thanks, our love and an opportunity to celebrate together,” she said.
Datron World Communications CEO Art Barter echoed those sentiments, saying, “We are thrilled to join with Operation Shower and Birdies for the Brave to show our appreciation to these courageous military moms-to-be who make innumerable sacrifices that enable their loved ones to so selflessly serve our country and defend our freedom. Their service and sacrifice deserve to be recognized just as much as those on the front lines, and we are delighted to do that through this special shower during the Farmers Insurance Open.”
Together with Pottery Barn Kids and Carousel Designs, Datron World Communications is sponsoring the “Sunshine Safari”-themed event. Additionally, all moms will receive Operation Shower’s signature “Shower in a Box”—a gift of products for mothers and babies donated by companies including Pottery Barn Kids, Carousel Designs, and others. Carl’s Jr., will provide lunch. The March of Dimes is the Health Education Partner for Operation Shower and is offering much-needed health information for the moms-to-be.
“We feel privileged to have the opportunity to give back in such a meaningful way to these courageous women, whose innumerable sacrifices may go unnoticed,” said Janet Hayes, president of Pottery Barn Kids. “This is just a small way we can express our gratitude, and we are truly honored to join Operation Shower in its mission to celebrate and honor these women and their families.”
“The Farmers Insurance Open has a long history of supporting charities throughout the greater San Diego area in partnership with the Century Club, and kicking off the week by celebrating the sacrifices of local military moms-to-be and their families is the perfect way to honor the community and the spirit of the tournament,” said Farmers Insurance Open Executive Director Peter Ripa.
Since 2007, Operation Shower , a non-profit organization, has celebrated military families by providing joyful baby showers for more than 600 military moms-to-be from the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and National Guard on military bases, during PGA TOUR tournaments, and at other locations.
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017