One Step at a Time
May 4, 2011
CHARLOTTE, N.C.—The PGA TOUR wives in attendance at the third Walk the Course Against Domestic Violence wore white caddie bibs with pink trim. Some walked with their husbands, some pushed their children in strollers, some had a quick pace and others took a more leisurely stroll.
But they walked . . . and walked the acreage of Quail Hollow Club, site of this week’s Wells Fargo Championship.
The wives weren’t the only ones decked out among the more than 1,000 people who came to walk in the event that raised money for this cause.
There was the Gaston College Diva Divots and Dudes in their matching shirts. Standing nearby were the Akers Pharmacy Girls and a group calling themselves The Pearlies, in hot-pink.
Everybody—young and old, male and female—in the assembled crowd seemed to be in good spirits, and the rainy weather that eventually did come held off long enough to make the night a fun one—even though the purpose and cause behind the walk is serious.
“Our passion is to lift up kids and families,” Amy Wilson, president of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and wife of PGA TOUR player Mark, told the throng. “Fifteen million American children witness domestic violence in their homes every year. Domestic violence is not a private matter, and it should be publicized. It’s not a glamorous cause, and it’s not a fun cause. But we can do something about this problem that is just not acceptable.”
The walk expected to raise in excess of $100,000 for North Carolina women’s shelters, with Wells Fargo, title sponsor of the Wells Fargo Championship, adding $5,000 to the total.
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013