Northern Trust Open Continues Military Goodwill
February 19, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif.—As part of the PGA TOUR’s Birdies for the Brave military outreach initiative, the Northern Trust Open at Riviera Country Club in capped off a week-long series of military-appreciation activities by hosting Military Appreciation Day on Feb. 19.
The day began with uniformed members from all five branches of the military serving as tee announcers on the first and 10th tees. On the 10th green, the tournament pin flag was replaced all day by an American flag.
Festivities continued in the Patriots’ Outpost military hospitality chalet, where Northern Trust Open Executive Director Jerry West participated in a ceremony featuring the March Air Reserve Honor Guard; the singing of God Bless America by 146th Airlift Tech Sergeant Erin McPherson; the presentation to Northern Trust and Birdies for the Brave of Congressional proclamations and American flags that had been flown over the U.S. Capitol on behalf of California Congressman Brad Sherman; a donation check presentation by West on behalf of the Northern Trust Open to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation; and a dedication by Mike Strickler, public affairs director at Edwards Air Force Base.
PGA TOUR Golf Course Properties President and Executive Vice President, Championship Management David Pillsbury emceed the ceremony, where special guests included Northern Trust CEO Rick Waddell; Garrett Marquis from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation; JD Kennedy, field representative in Congressman Buck McKeon’s office; hundreds of military members; and local youth participating in the Northern Trust Open’s Tee Off Fore Youth charitable initiative.
Other military outreach activities that took place during the tournament included a reception for hundreds of veterans served by the Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System at the West Los Angeles Fisher House, the opportunity for active-duty and retired and Reserve members of the military and their dependents to attend the tournament all week free of charge. The tournament also offered complimentary hospitality throughout the week for all military guests and veterans in the Patriots’ Outpost presented by the Annenberg Foundation. Members of the local ROTC program volunteered their time assisting guests in the Patriots’ Outpost.
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013