NFL Stars Sign Up for Tebow Charity Event
April 21, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.—One week after several well-known Florida Gators gave their commitment to the inaugural Tim Tebow Foundation Celebrity Golf Classic, officials announced five NFL Pro Bowl players also will be participating. Adrian Peterson, Fred Taylor, Elvis Dumervil, David Garrard and Jason Taylor all have committed to take part in the unique celebrity pro-am May 7 at Dye’s Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass, the weekend prior to THE PLAYERS Championship, to raise money for youth around the world. All net proceeds of the event will benefit The Tim Tebow Foundation and The First Tee.
The tournament will feature celebrities from the world of golf, entertainment and, of course, football at an event that promises to have have something unique on each of the 18 holes, including opportunities for spectators to become involved.
“I am thrilled that several of the NFL’s top players are showing their support by attending and participating in this inaugural event,” said Tebow, who completed his rookie year with the Denver Broncos. “Not only are Elvis Dumervil, Jason Taylor, Fred Taylor, David Garrard and Adrian Peterson all Pro Bowl-caliber players, they are all great people who spend much of their time off the field giving back through various charities.”
Peterson and Taylor are the first two running backs to commit to the event. Peterson has been selected to the Pro Bowl each of the four years in which he has played in the NFL, including his rookie season in 2007 when he also won Offensive Rookie of the Year. Taylor recently completed his 13th NFL season and ranks No. 15 in all-time rushing yards, with 11,695.
Garrard joins Tebow and Heisman Trophy winner and former Florida Gator Danny Wuerffel as quarterbacks who will be teeing it up. Garrard has been with the Jacksonville Jaguars for nine seasons, the last four as the full-time starter. Garrard is active in the community through the efforts of his foundation to raise awareness of Crohn’s disease—which he was diagnosed with in 2004—and breast cancer.
Tickets to the golf tournament are available to the public for $12.50 (for youth and adults) and can be purchased by clicking here. Limited opportunities to attend the gala or participate in the pro-am are still available by contacting Erik Dellenback, executive director of the Tim Tebow Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- VIDEO: Willie Wood supports Ronald McDonald House Charities in Tulsa 04/25/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017