Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai Benefits Local Charities
October 14, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii—Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai tournament officials presented Oct. 13 charitable donations to the Rotary Club of Kona and the Big Island Junior Golf Association.
On hand to present the checks, courtesy of the 2011 event were Mitsubishi Electric Cooling and Heating Senior Vice President and General Manager Bill Rau, HVAC Vice President of Sales Bud Nardello, John Freitas, general manager of The Hualalai Club, Brendan Moynahan, director of golf and Tournament Manager Kelly Fliear. The presentations were made on the 18th green at Hualalai Golf Course.
The Rotary Club of Kona has played an integral role in managing the tournament volunteer corps since the tournament began in 1997. Each year, more than 400 volunteers contribute their time and talents in assisting the players, sponsors and spectators to ensure a successful event.
“We feel privileged to continue our assignment of overseeing the volunteer operations,” said Alan Clark, the tournament’s volunteer coordinator. “The volunteers are the backbone of the tournament operations, and we certainly could not stage an event of this magnitude without recognizing their efforts.”
The tournament presented a $55,000 check to Rotary Club of Kona President Mike Kelly, who pledged the funds to community projects and college scholarship grants for selected students.
The Big Island Junior Golf Association, with more than 100 members, benefits from a Champions Tour national program which financially supports junior golf in the city or region where official tournaments are played. The Champions Tour players voted to forego the $5,000 pro-am purse they shared in years past and donate that money to the BIJGA. In addition, Mitsubishi Electric Cooling and Heating continues its support of the BIJGA as a year-round corporate sponsor.
Mitsubishi Electric is entering its fourth year as title sponsor of the Champions Tour’s season-opening event. “Mitsubishi Electric, in concert with the Champions Tour, is very proud of the charities this outstanding tournament benefits,” offered Katsuya Takamiya, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Electric U.S.
Added Rau, “Our business group has a large presence in Hawaii, and we’re very pleased to be able to support this wonderful community whenever and wherever we can.”
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016