Fowler Welcomes Caddy For A Cure Opportunity
April 19, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C.—Rickie Fowler, the 2010 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year, will help raise funds for charity by participating in a Caddy For A Cure experience during The Heritage. Fowler will have Warren Gittlen walking with his group and Marine Staff Sgt. Jason Roberts on his bag during his practice round Wednesday.
Gittlen is the founder of the Jake Gittlen Memorial Golf Tournament in Philadelphia, which raises millions of dollars in funding for cancer research at Penn State University’s College of Medicine through the Jake Gittlen Cancer Research Foundation. Gittlen’s family members bid on the opportunity with Fowler as a gift. Roberts will be participating as part of the TOUR’s Birdies for the Brave program on behalf of the Military Warriors Support Foundation. A member of the Marine Special Forces, Roberts sustained numerous injuries, including the amputation below the knee of his left leg resulting from an improvised explosive device blast during his service in Afghanistan in.
Roberts helps to promote the organization’s text2give program, giving donors the opportunity to text “HERO” to 85944 to make a one-time $10 donation billed to users’ mobile phones, in support of MWSF’s many programs designed to help warriors transition to civilian life.
Proceeds from Fowler’s caddying experience will also support Birdies for the Brave, a national military outreach initiative supported by the PGA TOUR, the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, the PGA TOUR Caddy Assistance Fund, charities selected by The Heritage and Fowler, including the Rickie Fowler Foundation.
Caddy For A Cure is a non-profit organization that lets fans bid in online auctions for the once-in-a-lifetime experience of caddying for a PGA TOUR or LPGA player during their official practice or pro-am competition round, with 100 percent of the proceeds donated to charity.
"Our objective has always been to offer golf fans the best and most unique experiences in professional golf; to let them see it from an insider’s perspective by bringing them closer to the game and to the players,” said Caddy For A Cure Founder Russ Holden. “As one of the PGA TOUR’s brightest young stars, we are indebted to Rickie Fowler for taking part in this special experience, which will go a long way toward helping these charities further their respective missions.”
- Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children 12/11/2013
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013