Eagles Mean Education
July 11, 2011
By Mark Williams, PGA TOUR Staff
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif.—Chevron recently created a new property—Eagles for Education—which debuted at last year’s Chevron World Challenge as an additional vehicle to benefit select nonprofit partners.
In partnership with the PGA TOUR, Nature Valley, Golf Channel, the Champions Tour and the Monterey Peninsular Foundation, Chevron launched EFE at last week’s Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach.
Chevron made a donation of $8,000 for every eagle by Champions Tour professionals during the tournament played at both the Del Monte Golf Course and Pebble Beach Golf Link totaling $104,000 for the 13 eagles scored by 13 different professionals during tournament week. There were four eagles on each of the first two days and five during Sunday’s final round. Each eagle will provide funding for 20 kids to participate in The First Tee program for a year.
The program highlighted Chevron’s commitment to education, with all proceeds from EFE benefiting the learning center at The First Tee of Monterey County.
“Chevron is happy to play a small role in something much bigger happening at Pebble Beach during tournament week,” said Glenn Weckerlin, Chevron’s director of global marketing. “It also ties in beautifully to The First Tee’s recent campaign announcement to reach 10 million young people.”
In addition to donating money, Chevron also established the Eagles Nest, a dedicated hospitality area on the picturesque 18th hole at Pebble Beach, which hosted more than 600 kids during tournament week.
“For many of these children, it’s their first time seeing the ocean so to have that view from Chevron’s hospitality area is an amazing experience for them,” said Barry Phillips, executive director of The First Tee of Monterey County.
Players who recorded eagles during the 2011 Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach:
First round: Brad Bryant, Blaine McCallister, Jim Thorpe, Barry Jaeckel
Second round: Mark Brooks, John Huston, Larry Nelson, Mike Reid
Third round: John Cook, Robin Freeman, Bill Glasson, Tom Kite, Tom Pernice, Jr.
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013