Bob Hope Classic Makes Big Charitable Donation
January 25, 2010
By PGA TOUR Staff
LA QUINTA, Calif.—Representatives of the Bob Hope Classic distributed $1.538 million in charitable proceeds from the 2009 Classic to Eisenhower Medical Center and 36 other charities. The event took place Jan. 18.
Charities receiving funds included 14 that provide structured programs for children, 10 that offer rehab, social and support services for those suffering from a variety of health conditions, 12 that provide food and/or shelter for the hungry, homeless and abused, and Eisenhower Medical Center.
The public check-distribution ceremony was conducted near the Bob Hope Classic Store at Main Street in Old Town La Quinta, where La Quinta Mayor Don Adolph, Baseball Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, actor William Devane, comedian Tom Dreesen and funds-distribution chairman Jim Reed participated. “If ever there was a year in which our charitable contributions could help, this is certainly the one,” said Classic President John Foster. “We are very pleased to be able to continue to extend our helping hand this year.
“The Classic’s mission is to support the many charities doing extraordinary work in the Coachella Valley,” Foster added. “An event like this only strengthens the efforts of our volunteers, sponsors and tournament staff throughout the year.”
A desert tradition since 1960, the Classic has contributed nearly $49 million to charity. The 51st Bob Hope Classic ended Jan. 25, with Bill Haas capturing his first PGA TOUR title.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open donates $50K to local food bank 11/26/2014
- Frys.com Open awards $1 million to charity 11/26/2014
- Making a Difference: Golf’s Charitable Impact 11/25/2014
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out at Police Athletic League 11/24/2014
- Champions Tour official honored for his commitment to military charities 11/24/2014
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 11/21/2014
- Jim Hunt named 2014 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for service to the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 11/21/2014
- BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX announces 2015 charity partners 11/19/2014
- Billy Horschel visits Feeding Northeast Florida during THE PLAYERS' giving back month 11/19/2014
- WinCo Foods Portland Open delivers $725,000 to Oregon charities 11/18/2014