Bob Hope Classic Makes Big Charitable Donation
January 25, 2010
By PGA TOUR Staff
LA QUINTA, Calif.—Representatives of the Bob Hope Classic distributed $1.538 million in charitable proceeds from the 2009 Classic to Eisenhower Medical Center and 36 other charities. The event took place Jan. 18.
Charities receiving funds included 14 that provide structured programs for children, 10 that offer rehab, social and support services for those suffering from a variety of health conditions, 12 that provide food and/or shelter for the hungry, homeless and abused, and Eisenhower Medical Center.
The public check-distribution ceremony was conducted near the Bob Hope Classic Store at Main Street in Old Town La Quinta, where La Quinta Mayor Don Adolph, Baseball Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, actor William Devane, comedian Tom Dreesen and funds-distribution chairman Jim Reed participated. “If ever there was a year in which our charitable contributions could help, this is certainly the one,” said Classic President John Foster. “We are very pleased to be able to continue to extend our helping hand this year.
“The Classic’s mission is to support the many charities doing extraordinary work in the Coachella Valley,” Foster added. “An event like this only strengthens the efforts of our volunteers, sponsors and tournament staff throughout the year.”
A desert tradition since 1960, the Classic has contributed nearly $49 million to charity. The 51st Bob Hope Classic ended Jan. 25, with Bill Haas capturing his first PGA TOUR title.
- The Jake raises record $2.2 million to support the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation 03/05/2014
- Young brain cancer survivor treated to a special day at the WGC-Cadillac Championship 03/05/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee arrives in Chile 03/05/2014
- The Presidents Cup announces record charitable amount of $5 million-plus 03/04/2014
- PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic 02/27/2014
- VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland 02/27/2014
- Autistic children benefit from golf clinic at The Honda Classic 02/26/2014
- Kirkland Davidson named 2013 Web.com Tour Volunteer of the Year 02/26/2014
- A random act of kindness 18 years in the making 02/14/2014
- VIDEO: Actress Beverley Mitchell teams with Birdies for the Brave to host Operation Shower at Northern Trust Open 02/13/2014