Big Money for Birdies at FedEx St. Jude Classic
June 7, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
GERMANTOWN, Tenn.—Brian Gay’s 25 birdies helped him win the 2009 FedEx St. Jude Classic. Now he’s enlisted four PGA TOUR players to help support a cause close to Gay’s heart: The St. Jude Children’s Hospital.
Gay and his wife, Kimberly, are donating $100 for each birdie Gay makes this week at the FedEx St. Jude Classic at TPC Southwind. The couple is also making a donation in honor of the others’ participation. Additionally, Gaylord Sports Management is matching its clients’ contributions.
“We thought we’d put a slight twist on the Eagles for St. Jude program and sort of bring that effort home to Memphis,” said Gay. “Kimberly and I have been so moved by the work the hospital does and the spirit of its young patients that we had to get involved. We’re thankful and honored that other Gaylord clients and Steve Loy have joined us this week and through the year.”
Contributing $100 for each birdie they make are Bryce Molder, runner-up to Gay in 2009, 2011 Valero Texas Open winner Brendan Steele and Tom Pernice, Jr., who is taking a break from the Champions Tour to return to PGA TOUR action. Phil Mickelson is not entered in the tournament this week but is donating $100 for each birdie Gay makes. LPGA member Mina Harigae has joined the Eagles for St. Jude program, donating $500 for each eagle she makes throughout this season.
Loy, Gaylord Sports Management chief executive officer, said, “This initiative says a great deal about Brian and Kimberly’s passion and character and that of our clients. The St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital has touched families all over the world and for more than 40 years has been supported by the PGA Tour. That’s why we’re proud to partner with our clients in this initiative. Brian and Kimberly Gay and our GSM family encourage you and/or your corporate partners to match our team’s gifts to this year’s FedEx St. Jude’s Classic as well.”
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013