Big Charity-Giving Year for Northern Trust Open
June 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
LOS ANGELES—Northern Trust Open tournament officials announced June 14 that the 2011 Northern Trust Open raised $1.6 million for deserving non-profit organizations in the area. Northern Trust Open Executive Director Jerry West made the announcement at an LA Legends Club reception at Riviera Country Club. The 2011 Northern Trust Open, won by Australia’s Aaron Baddeley, was held February 15-20 at historic Riviera Country Club.
The $1.6 million raised brings the total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event’s inception to $53.5 million. It is estimated that the Northern Trust Open helps 15,000 Los Angeles residents each year, which includes 5,000 kids who are cared for in programs like The First Tee of Los Angeles County, Agassi All-Stars of Safe Passage Tennis Program, Foster Family Picnic, Ready to Learn, LA Watts Summer Games and the Riordan Volunteer Leadership Development Program.
“I continue to be amazed at what can happen when a community comes together to support something that benefits so many,” said West. “Last year, the Northern Trust Open raised $1.5 million for local charities, and I said that was a great start but that we needed to do more. We’ve moved the needle once again in 2011, thanks to the hard work of the staff, the volunteers, the PGA TOUR, Northern Trust and the LAJCC—as well as the support of this entire community.
“But once again,” West continued, “I’m going to challenge everyone to do more, to set our sights even higher for 2012. Let’s continue to grow this wonderful event and bring even more assistance to our neighbors who need it most.”
“The Northern Trust Open improves the lives of people in need across Los Angeles by raising millions for worthy charitable organizations,” Northern Trust Chairman and CEO Frederick H. Waddell said.
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016