Big Charity-Giving Year for Northern Trust Open
June 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
LOS ANGELES—Northern Trust Open tournament officials announced June 14 that the 2011 Northern Trust Open raised $1.6 million for deserving non-profit organizations in the area. Northern Trust Open Executive Director Jerry West made the announcement at an LA Legends Club reception at Riviera Country Club. The 2011 Northern Trust Open, won by Australia’s Aaron Baddeley, was held February 15-20 at historic Riviera Country Club.
The $1.6 million raised brings the total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event’s inception to $53.5 million. It is estimated that the Northern Trust Open helps 15,000 Los Angeles residents each year, which includes 5,000 kids who are cared for in programs like The First Tee of Los Angeles County, Agassi All-Stars of Safe Passage Tennis Program, Foster Family Picnic, Ready to Learn, LA Watts Summer Games and the Riordan Volunteer Leadership Development Program.
“I continue to be amazed at what can happen when a community comes together to support something that benefits so many,” said West. “Last year, the Northern Trust Open raised $1.5 million for local charities, and I said that was a great start but that we needed to do more. We’ve moved the needle once again in 2011, thanks to the hard work of the staff, the volunteers, the PGA TOUR, Northern Trust and the LAJCC—as well as the support of this entire community.
“But once again,” West continued, “I’m going to challenge everyone to do more, to set our sights even higher for 2012. Let’s continue to grow this wonderful event and bring even more assistance to our neighbors who need it most.”
“The Northern Trust Open improves the lives of people in need across Los Angeles by raising millions for worthy charitable organizations,” Northern Trust Chairman and CEO Frederick H. Waddell said.
- Morgan Hoffmann gives back while at home in New Jersey for the FedExCup Playoffs 08/20/2014
- The First Tee of Metropolitan New York inspires young women to be heard 08/19/2014
- VIDEO: Esteban Toledo hosts First Tee clinic at Binghamton elementary 08/15/2014
- 2014 Rod Pampling Classic charity tournament set for Sept. 29 08/15/2014
- VIDEO: 2014 Ian Poulter Charity Classic 08/15/2014
- Wyndham Championship's volunteer center dedicated in honor of Marty Sheets 08/12/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives build gardens at Louisville elementary 08/07/2014
- Web.com Tour wives help Convoy of Hope during Price Cutter Charity Championship 08/06/2014
- Valero Texas Open's 'Birdies for Charity' campaign raises $1.8M for San Antonio charities 08/05/2014
- VIDEO: Caddy for a Cure with Jason Bohn at the John Deere Classic 07/31/2014