Big Charity-Giving Year for Northern Trust Open
June 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
LOS ANGELES—Northern Trust Open tournament officials announced June 14 that the 2011 Northern Trust Open raised $1.6 million for deserving non-profit organizations in the area. Northern Trust Open Executive Director Jerry West made the announcement at an LA Legends Club reception at Riviera Country Club. The 2011 Northern Trust Open, won by Australia’s Aaron Baddeley, was held February 15-20 at historic Riviera Country Club.
The $1.6 million raised brings the total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event’s inception to $53.5 million. It is estimated that the Northern Trust Open helps 15,000 Los Angeles residents each year, which includes 5,000 kids who are cared for in programs like The First Tee of Los Angeles County, Agassi All-Stars of Safe Passage Tennis Program, Foster Family Picnic, Ready to Learn, LA Watts Summer Games and the Riordan Volunteer Leadership Development Program.
“I continue to be amazed at what can happen when a community comes together to support something that benefits so many,” said West. “Last year, the Northern Trust Open raised $1.5 million for local charities, and I said that was a great start but that we needed to do more. We’ve moved the needle once again in 2011, thanks to the hard work of the staff, the volunteers, the PGA TOUR, Northern Trust and the LAJCC—as well as the support of this entire community.
“But once again,” West continued, “I’m going to challenge everyone to do more, to set our sights even higher for 2012. Let’s continue to grow this wonderful event and bring even more assistance to our neighbors who need it most.”
“The Northern Trust Open improves the lives of people in need across Los Angeles by raising millions for worthy charitable organizations,” Northern Trust Chairman and CEO Frederick H. Waddell said.
- VIDEO: Erik Compton receives the Buoniconti 'Inspiration Award' 10/01/2014
- YMCA of the Triangle named host charity of the SAS Championship 09/30/2014
- VIDEO: Gary Player reunites with First Tee Open participant he inspired 09/22/2014
- The Greenbrier Classic announces first annual volunteer charitable initiative campaign 09/18/2014
- VIDEO: Web.com Tour player Peter Malnati's special friendship with a young cancer survivor 09/16/2014
- VIDEO: Brendon Todd visits East Lake's Drew Charter School during TOUR Championship 09/10/2014
- Web.com Tour Wives give back through “Fill the Cart with Fun” campaign 09/10/2014
- Chris Wilson kicks off campaign in support of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation 09/09/2014
- Andrade, Cink contribute to East Lake's success story 09/09/2014
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014