Big Charity Dollars Coming from Waste Management Phoenix Open
August 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PHOENIX—The Thunderbirds, the hosts of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, will distribute $4,041,287 to local charities through proceeds raised from the 2011 tournament. Thunderbirds’ Big Chief Mike McQuaid announced the donation amount Aug. 15.
“Given the cold-weather challenges we had during the 2011 tournament, which held our total attendance numbers down, we are ecstatic to contribute more than $4 million to local charities through proceeds raised from the Waste Management Phoenix Open,” said McQuaid. “We can’t thank the community and our sponsors enough for their outstanding support of this tournament. The Thunderbirds offer special thanks to Waste Management, Xerox, i/o, Avnet and hundreds of other companies for their unwavering support of the Open and our community.”
“Our commitment as title sponsor of the Phoenix Open solidifies our dedication to this partnership and further elevates our environmental efforts for the PGA TOUR as well as our employees and customers in the state of Arizona,” said Waste Management Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing David Aardsma.
Plans for the 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open include “The Greatest Show on Grass,” which will be held at TPC Scottsdale from January-February 5. The 2012 tournament will mark the 77th playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the third as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Since October 2003 when the tournament first brought on a title sponsor, The Thunderbirds and the Open have raised more than $46.4 million for charities. In a history dating to 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised more than $74.4 million for charities in Arizona.
- PGA TOUR to donate $100,000 to West Virginia Flood Relief 06/28/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016