Big Charity Dollars Coming from Waste Management Phoenix Open
August 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PHOENIX—The Thunderbirds, the hosts of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, will distribute $4,041,287 to local charities through proceeds raised from the 2011 tournament. Thunderbirds’ Big Chief Mike McQuaid announced the donation amount Aug. 15.
“Given the cold-weather challenges we had during the 2011 tournament, which held our total attendance numbers down, we are ecstatic to contribute more than $4 million to local charities through proceeds raised from the Waste Management Phoenix Open,” said McQuaid. “We can’t thank the community and our sponsors enough for their outstanding support of this tournament. The Thunderbirds offer special thanks to Waste Management, Xerox, i/o, Avnet and hundreds of other companies for their unwavering support of the Open and our community.”
“Our commitment as title sponsor of the Phoenix Open solidifies our dedication to this partnership and further elevates our environmental efforts for the PGA TOUR as well as our employees and customers in the state of Arizona,” said Waste Management Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing David Aardsma.
Plans for the 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open include “The Greatest Show on Grass,” which will be held at TPC Scottsdale from January-February 5. The 2012 tournament will mark the 77th playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the third as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Since October 2003 when the tournament first brought on a title sponsor, The Thunderbirds and the Open have raised more than $46.4 million for charities. In a history dating to 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised more than $74.4 million for charities in Arizona.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014