Big Charity Dollars Coming from Waste Management Phoenix Open
August 15, 2011
By PGA TOUR Staff
PHOENIX—The Thunderbirds, the hosts of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, will distribute $4,041,287 to local charities through proceeds raised from the 2011 tournament. Thunderbirds’ Big Chief Mike McQuaid announced the donation amount Aug. 15.
“Given the cold-weather challenges we had during the 2011 tournament, which held our total attendance numbers down, we are ecstatic to contribute more than $4 million to local charities through proceeds raised from the Waste Management Phoenix Open,” said McQuaid. “We can’t thank the community and our sponsors enough for their outstanding support of this tournament. The Thunderbirds offer special thanks to Waste Management, Xerox, i/o, Avnet and hundreds of other companies for their unwavering support of the Open and our community.”
“Our commitment as title sponsor of the Phoenix Open solidifies our dedication to this partnership and further elevates our environmental efforts for the PGA TOUR as well as our employees and customers in the state of Arizona,” said Waste Management Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing David Aardsma.
Plans for the 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open include “The Greatest Show on Grass,” which will be held at TPC Scottsdale from January-February 5. The 2012 tournament will mark the 77th playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the third as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Since October 2003 when the tournament first brought on a title sponsor, The Thunderbirds and the Open have raised more than $46.4 million for charities. In a history dating to 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised more than $74.4 million for charities in Arizona.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015