Ben There, Done That
January 26, 2011
By Joel Schuchmann, PGA TOUR Staff
LA JOLLA, Calif.—Just one hour after fielding questions from the national media as defending champion of the Farmers Insurance Open, Ben Crane’s toughest question may have come from a young junior at the Pro Kids First Tee of San Diego Junior Golf Clinic.
“Have you ever hit a car playing golf?"
“Yes,” said Crane, who hosted the clinic at Torrey Pines Golf Course for more than 100 boys and girls from the San Diego chapter of The First Tee. “Let’s just say it was not a good situation.”
In all seriousness, Crane wowed the crowd at the 30-minute clinic, hitting a variety of shots such as draws, fades and trick shots and answering questions ranging from life as a PGA TOUR professional, including an inquiry if he had ever met Tiger Woods.
“Golf is a lot like life,” Crane said when asked about what he had learned most from the sport. “You have to be patient, learn the rules and sometimes it is not fair. But in the end, hard work and perseverance pays off.”
Tom Wilson, Farmers Insurance Open tournament director, and Mhayse Samalya, president of Farmers Business Insurance, introduced Crane and also presented a $48,000 check to the Pro Kids First Tee of San Diego. Farmers first teamed with The First Tee in 2009 during the Zurich Classic of New Orleans.
“I am impressed with the level of integrity and genuine care The First Tee shows to these young people,” said Samalya. “We are thrilled to be part of something that is truly life-changing for hundreds of kids who may not get this opportunity otherwise.”
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave teams with Callaway Golf to honor wounded heroes during DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/26/2016
- Texas native Ryan Palmer gets kids into the swing of things at DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/23/2016
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016