MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open
March 29, 2017
HOUSTON – Free skin cancer screenings, courtesy of cancer prevention specialists from The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, will be available to the general public for the first time at the Shell Houston Open, Houston’s premier PGA TOUR event at the Golf Club of Houston, 5860 Wilson Rd. in Humble, Saturday, April 1, from noon to 4 p.m.
Physicians will perform the screenings in a private area adjacent to MD Anderson’s Strike Through Cancer Pavilion near the 18th green. Screenings take about 10 minutes and appointments are not necessary. Tournament attendees also can meet with MD Anderson cancer prevention specialists in a group or one-on-one setting to discuss prevention-related topics and learn tips for healthful living.
“Since up to 50 percent of cancer cases in the U.S. can be prevented, educating the public is a critical part of MD Anderson’s mission to end cancer,” said Therese Bevers, M.D., professor of Clinical Cancer Prevention and medical director of the Lyda Hill Cancer Prevention Center and prevention outreach programs at MD Anderson. “As the official cancer center of the PGA TOUR, we have educated millions of people on ways to reduce the risk of developing cancer. Our goal in offering on-site specialists and free skin cancer screenings at the Shell Houston Open is to continue making an impact on our local community and the golf community at large.”
For more information about the Shell Houston Open, please click here.
- ISPS HANDA World Cup of Golf donates $700,000 to The Handa Foundation 04/28/2017
- Meet Zurich Classic of New Orleans volunteer extraordinaire Kevin Block 04/28/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017