Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass
March 8, 2017
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- Ten charities that benefit from THE PLAYERS gathered on Tuesday for THE PLAYERS Charity Challenge, with defending champion Jason Day and local celebrities. THE PLAYERS Charity Challenge has traditionally been held on No. 17, but this year it showcased the redesigned, drivable par-4 12th hole. Day hit tee shots for each charity, and then the celebrity representatives took over from there, with Day coaching them through their second shots. The closest to the pin in two shots was former PGA TOUR player Jeff Klauk, who chipped Day’s drive to within 7 inches and won a $10,000 donation to his charity of choice, Epilepsy Foundation of Florida.
Day then surprised each participating charity with a check for $5,000 on behalf The Brighter Days Foundation, Day’s charitable organization, for a total of $50,000 to all participating charities. THE PLAYERS presented Day’s charity with a $5,000 check as well.
“Ellie and I are committed to making brighter days for others, and I really wanted to make certain all the worthy charities involved in today’s event were winners” said Day. “The Brighter Days Foundation is humbled to have the support of donors and partners who help us change lives in our hometown of Columbus, Ohio, and I’m proud to be THE PLAYERS defending champion and a part of the great work this tournament does for the Northeast Florida community.”
Klauk is the first two-time winner of THE PLAYERS Charity Challenge; he was closest to the pin on No. 17 in 2012. He also finished second in 2015. As of today, the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida has earned $20,000 through THE PLAYERS Charity Challenge.
“It is an honor to be here today and represent the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida,” said Klauk, former member of the PGA TOUR and Web.com Tour. “I was diagnosed with Epilepsy in 2006, and since then it has affected my life and my family’s life in a profound way. The $15,000 generated through this event and The Brighter Days Foundation will help the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida get one step closer to finding a cure. In addition, today’s funds will be added to our debut event, the Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout on Monday April 10, which will be played at The Palencia Club near St. Augustine, Florida.”
Results for the shootout are as follows:
1. Epilepsy Foundation of Florida: Jeff Klauk, former member of the PGA TOUR and Web.com Tour – 7 inches
2. Wolfson Children’s Hospital: Josh Scobee, former Jacksonville Jaguars kicker – 1 foot, 2 inches
3. True Blue Navy Benefactors: Laura Baugh, former member of the LPGA Tour, current golf instructor at Sawgrass Country Club – 7 feet, 8 inches
4. North Florida Junior Golf Foundation: Todd Bork, Head Golf Professional at San Jose Country Club – 9 feet, 11 inches
5. St. Vincent’s HealthCare Foundation: Clint Avret, Head Golf Professional at Timuquana Country Club 17 feet, 3 inches
6. The Boselli Foundation: Tony Boselli, former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle – 27 feet, 6 inches
7. The First Tee of North Florida: Spencer Schindler, alumnus of The First Tee program, played on Flagler College’s golf team – 30 feet, 7 inches
8. Tom Coughlin Jay Fund: Curtis Dvorak, co-host of “First Coast Living” morning show, formally served as Jaguars mascot (Jaxson de Ville) – 32 feet, 9 inches
9. Angelwood: Jeff Lageman, former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end, co-host of “Jaguars This Week” radio show – 50 feet
10. K9s for Warriors (2016 Charity Challenge Winner): Bob Duval, past PGA TOUR and PGA TOUR Champions winner – 52 feet
All charities selected to participate in the Charity Shootout are organizations along the First Coast, furthering THE PLAYERS commitment to support the local community.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017