Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations
February 7, 2017
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The Waste Management Phoenix Open’s seventh annual GREEN OUT raised $100,000 for three non-profit environmental organizations in the Valley. For every person who wore GREEN to the tournament on Saturday, The Thunderbirds will donate $33,333 each to Bonneville Environmental Foundation’s “Change the Course,” Arizona Recycling Coalition and the Arizona Chapter of Solid Waste Association of North America (AZ SWANA). According to the Waste Management Phoenix Open’s ‘Green Squad,’ nearly half of Saturday’s record-breaking crowd of 204,906 fans and PGA TOUR pros donned GREEN gear.
The Waste Management Phoenix Open has taken sustainability to the next level and has redefined what “GREEN” means on the PGA TOUR. Waste Management has won the PGA TOUR’s “Best Title Sponsor Integration” award three out of the last six years (2011, 2013 and 2015). In 2016, more than 618,000 golf fans attended the Waste Management Phoenix Open and the tournament diverted 100% of tournament waste from landfills for the third straight year. Zero Waste means nothing from the tournament has gone to a landfill in three years – not a single cup, can, sign or container.
Waste Management and The Thunderbirds began the GREEN OUT in 2011 as a way for fans to honor and support the sustainability initiatives of the tournament and title sponsor Waste Management. Since 2011, the GREEN OUT has raised 490,000 for a variety of local non-profit environmental organizations.
The Thunderbirds were founded in 1937 with the mission of promoting the Valley of the Sun through sports. The Thunderbirds consist of 55 “active” members and more than 250 “life” members. Last year The Thunderbirds raised a record $9.3 million for charity and have eclipsed $111 million in charitable giving since its inception. For more information on the Thunderbirds or the 2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open visit www.wmphoenixopen.com.
- Meet Zurich Classic of New Orleans volunteer extraordinaire Kevin Block 04/28/2017
- ISPS HANDA World Cup of Golf donates $700,000 to The Handa Foundation 04/28/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017