PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000
November 16, 2016
By Mark Williams, PGA TOUR Staff
SEA ISLAND, Georgia- On Tuesday evening, before The RSM Classic at Sea Island Resort got underway, the tradition continued with the fifth annual Wiffle Ball Classic being played between members of the PGA TOUR and their wives and partners from the PGA TOUR Wives Association.
With the support of The RSM Classic, PGA TOUR Wives Association, select local sponsors and PGA TOUR professionals, the Wives Association created a special experience for 20 children from Altama Elementary School who were all on the diamond, with the professionals and their partners, during the game on a cool evening at the Frederica Academy.
The PGA TOUR team, led by Kevin Kisner, defending champion at this year’s RSM Classic, posted a 10-6 victory over the PGA TOUR Wives team. Kisner was the team captain this year after acting as team manger last year.
“We're still wondering if it was an upgrade or a downgrade,” said Kisner. “I wanted to retire 1‑0 as the manager so I think they demoted me to captain. It was for a great cause. My wife's (Brittany) involved in the PGA TOUR Wives Association so she's big into that. We had a good time, the kids love it, that's what it's all about.”
Following the fun event, the PGA TOUR Wives Association was able to donate $35,000 to support the Blessings in a Backpack program for the school.
“To have the opportunity to raise funds in each community where the TOUR plays, especially when it’s for kids, is a wonderful feeling for all of us,” said Alicia Malnati, wife of Peter, who both participated. “We were looking for redemption after a loss last year but we couldn’t dig it out of the dirt. But we all had a lot of fun.”
Over 70% of children across the United States qualify for free or reduced lunches due to their economic situation at home. Blessings in a Backpack ensures these children leave school on Friday with a backpack full of healthy food options to get them through the weekend.
Over the past five years, the PGA TOUR Wives Association and The RSM Classic have continued to raise money to support the local needs of needy children in this area.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017