PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic
June 7, 2016
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
MEMPHIS- Tuesdays of tournament weeks are usually spent by players and caddies getting to know the course they’re about to try and tame. But, at this week’s FedEx St. Jude Classic, Tuesday afternoon served as more of a reminder to Tom Hoge and Brian Stuard.
With members from The First Tee of Memphis on hand to for an opportunity to walk Nos. 8, 9 and 10 inside the ropes with the two PGA TOUR members at TPC Southwind, Hoge and Stuard remembered what it was like when they were young. And, it couldn’t have served as better motivation for them to spend time with the kids.
“When I was a kid, I had a group of guys that were five or six years older than I was who played Division I golf and professionally,” said Hoge. “They let me tag along and learn from them, so that really made a difference in my game. It was really cool. Now, to be in the opposite role is really special. I hope they can get as much out of it as I kid.”
“It’s really great to see their enthusiasm for the game,” said Stuard, winner of the 2016 Zurich Classic of New Orleans. “It’s cool for me to see that. You don’t see that a lot. Their exuberance is pretty special. It’s contagious and this kind of thing makes for a great time for everyone.”
There is certainly value in learning, but when it can be divided by creating great times for others, the ensuing motivation can lead to equally great results. They’re results which extend beyond the outcome of the golf tournament and spill over into the daily lives of those hoping to one day be walking those fairways for work themselves.
“It is awesome to be inside the ropes. It’s a great experience,” said First Tee Memphis member Bethany Dockery. “You get to talk to the PGA TOUR professionals about their wins and good finishes, what they do before and after tournaments, how it feels after a win. It’s just overall a great experience and I love and appreciate that the First Tee gives me a chance to experience opportunities like this to be out here on this beautiful day. It’s a great feeling.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017