PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS
May 11, 2016
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- On a golf course, silence is often considered golden. But among the myriad of heart-driven activity on Tuesday at THE PLAYERS Championship, protocol was for music and anything but silence.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association hosted These Kids Can Play! Presented by EverBank benefitting Community PedsCare where children and families from Wolfson Children’s Hospital and Community PedsCare were treated to a morning of music therapy.
“The thing I love about this event is that when we brought it here, we did not have a charity event here at THE PLAYERS Championship,” said chairperson for the event Tabitha Furyk, wife of TOUR player Jim Furyk. “Every other week, the PGA TOUR Wives Association is doing something in the community where they are. So, I just felt like there are so many organizations here we could help. So, to bring PedsCare Kids and the PGA TOUR Wives here for THE PLAYERS Championship and have that interaction is great.”
Members of the PGA TOUR and PGA TOUR Wives Association were on hand to interact with the kids and their families. In addition, the Jacksonville Zoo featured animals for the kids to get up close to. Each kid was also provided books donated by Books-A-Go-Go.
“With EverBank being a sponsor, we ended up being able to donate $60,000 to help these families,” Furk added. “The program just keeps growing. We started with 100 families to over 200 families that are in this program. Each year, with these donations, that number continues to grow.”
Come Thursday, the “Hush” signs will be raised high over every golf shot. But, on Tuesday morning, music from the collective heart of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and its sponsors resonated loud and clear at Stadium Village at TPC Sawgrass.
“It looks like we have six to seven new families this year, so we’re really excited about that,” said Furyk. “The venue is great. We had a great turnout from the PGA TOUR Wives Association, so it was just really great to have such a wonderful turnout to spend time with these families and just be together.”
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017