Shell Houston Open hosts First Tee skills challenge
March 30, 2016
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
HOUSTON- Rain may have wet the grounds of the Golf Club of Houston Tuesday afternoon at the Shell Houston Open, but it didn’t dampen the spirits of those taking part in a skills challenge sponsored by MD Anderson, featuring PGA TOUR players, members of the Houston Texans and kids from The First Tee of Greater Houston.
PGA TOUR players Chad Campbell, Will Wilcox, Morgan Hoffmann and Erik Compton were each paired with a Houston Texan and a First Tee of Greater Houston kid to form a team. Various shots from the First Tee Course at the Golf Club of Houston gave were allotted points, based on their proximity to the hole.
More important than how close balls stopped from the hole was how close The First Tee Kids got to be for the afternoon with professionals from the NFL and PGA TOUR.
"I love supporting The First Tee,” said Morgan Hoffmann. “I’ve been doing it the last four years pretty consistently since I’ve been on TOUR and it’s awesome. It is so rewarding seeing the kids' faces. I remember looking up to players when I was their age and to be part of this and give them someone to look up to is so rewarding.”
“Despite poor weather, we had a great time with all of the kids today at the clinic,” said Will Wilcox. “I wish I would have had these opportunities when I was a kid."
Each week, TOUR players descend upon a city in an effort to come away with the tournament title. But, on a much larger and more significant scale, what the TOUR leaves in its wake each week is a trophy hoisted by an entire community.
“It’s always great to visit all of the different communities on the PGA TOUR and spend time with all of the kids who love playing golf,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s an honor to be able to give a little of our time to not only spend time with the kids, but also to say thank you to the local First Tee chapters for what they do to make our game better.”
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017