Shell Houston Open hosts First Tee skills challenge
March 30, 2016
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
HOUSTON- Rain may have wet the grounds of the Golf Club of Houston Tuesday afternoon at the Shell Houston Open, but it didn’t dampen the spirits of those taking part in a skills challenge sponsored by MD Anderson, featuring PGA TOUR players, members of the Houston Texans and kids from The First Tee of Greater Houston.
PGA TOUR players Chad Campbell, Will Wilcox, Morgan Hoffmann and Erik Compton were each paired with a Houston Texan and a First Tee of Greater Houston kid to form a team. Various shots from the First Tee Course at the Golf Club of Houston gave were allotted points, based on their proximity to the hole.
More important than how close balls stopped from the hole was how close The First Tee Kids got to be for the afternoon with professionals from the NFL and PGA TOUR.
"I love supporting The First Tee,” said Morgan Hoffmann. “I’ve been doing it the last four years pretty consistently since I’ve been on TOUR and it’s awesome. It is so rewarding seeing the kids' faces. I remember looking up to players when I was their age and to be part of this and give them someone to look up to is so rewarding.”
“Despite poor weather, we had a great time with all of the kids today at the clinic,” said Will Wilcox. “I wish I would have had these opportunities when I was a kid."
Each week, TOUR players descend upon a city in an effort to come away with the tournament title. But, on a much larger and more significant scale, what the TOUR leaves in its wake each week is a trophy hoisted by an entire community.
“It’s always great to visit all of the different communities on the PGA TOUR and spend time with all of the kids who love playing golf,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s an honor to be able to give a little of our time to not only spend time with the kids, but also to say thank you to the local First Tee chapters for what they do to make our game better.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017