Fresh off Abu Dhabi win, Fowler shines during First Tee clinic in San Diego
January 26, 2016
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
SAN DIEGO- When Rickie Fowler’s grueling, 18-hour flight touched down on United States ground after his hard-fought victory at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, there was just one thing he said he couldn’t wait to do. Play golf.
On Monday of Farmers Insurance Open week, more than 150 First Tee of San Diego kids had one thing they couldn’t wait for Rickie Fowler to do. Play golf.
At the sixth annual Tee It Up! For Kids Youth Golf Clinic at the Pro Kids First Tee of San Diego Oceanside location, Fowler responded accordingly.
Joined by Hunter Stewart, the world’s former No. 1 amateur, Fowler put on a clinic for an enthusiastic crowd, with virtually everyone decked out in flat-brim Puma hats.
“I can’t say enough about how special this is, to be a part of this each year with Farmers and the First Tee of San Diego,” Fowler said. “This is always such a great way to kick off Farmers Insurance Open week.”
Pro Kids students had the opportunity to interact with and learning from Fowler and Stewart, watch and learn from a demonstration from the two pros and take part in a skills challenge.
Amidst a sea of orange Puma hats, Fowler sidelined his jet lag for a while to take in as much from his fans as they were clearly receiving from him.
“Seeing kids and fans in those hats never gets old, it really doesn’t,” Fowler said. “It’s incredible to see the impact that I’ve been able to make. I hope to always keep seeing kids in those hats.”
Farmers Insurance and The First Tee have a longstanding partnership on a local level through the Farmers Insurance Open, and a national level, through the National Schools Program. Through the Thank America’s Teachers program, Farmers is committed to giving back to teachers across America giving them the ability to make a big impact in their classrooms and communities through $2,500 and $100,000 educational grants. To date, Farmers has donated more than $1.2 million in educational grants to hundreds of teachers to support proposals and exciting projects that make a difference.
“Being from the San Diego area, this is always fun for me,” Fowler said. “I used to be one of these kids out here. I was playing with old, cut down clubs to fit my size. There was no First Tee program or organized junior golf back then, so I hope they’re getting as much from this as I am.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017