K.J. Choi pledges $100K to Nepal earthquake relief
May 6, 2015
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- While 144 players are poised to create a career-defining memory at this week’s PLAYERS Championship, the lives of thousands of others have been tragically reduced to being only a memory.
On April 25, a massive, 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the heart of Nepal, Italy killing more than 7,000 and injuring twice as many. Hundreds of thousands were rendered homeless in what was most severe disaster to hit the area since 1934.
When K.J. Choi saw the news on television unfold about the catastrophic earthquake which crippled that part of the world, the 2011 PLAYERS Champion’s heart was also ravaged.
On Wednesday at TPC Sawgrass, Choi and The KJ Choi Foundation announced a donation of $100,000 to help those affected by the tragedy.
“Watching the news and seeing so many people lose their lives, their homes and sleeping outside, I just realized how lucky I am for this life,” Choi said. “It touched my heart. We all live in the same world, but so many people are suffering because of this disaster. We are lucky enough to be out here playing, so, as part of the help and recovery process, I’ve chosen to donate.”
The donation will be used to fund short-term disaster relief, as well as long-term support for recovery.
“My prayers go out to the victims who have lost their family members and their livelihood,” Choi said. “I hope their lives can be restored in the near future. We recognize that Nepal will be needing everyone's continued interest and time for a full recovery and I hope to be a part of that."
The KJ Choi Foundation has shown its share of philanthropic efforts in the past, having provided aid for victims of Hurricane Katrina, the earthquakes in Haiti and Philippines and tsunami in Japan.
“I would like to thank all the K.J. Choi Foundation supporters who are helping make this possible,” Choi said.
The KJ Choi Foundation inspires to actualize dreams and hopes of children and young adults to make a better society for all.
“I want to use this donation as an example of how people can give back, both in times of catastrophe and regularly. Hopefully, this will show people that it can be done and how you can help people that are in need.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017