Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona
February 19, 2015
By Mark Williams, PGA TOUR Staff
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.- Marco Dawson was on the right track as a rookie on the Champions Tour in 2014. His play was outstanding. Even though he began as a non-exempt player, he finished 15th on the final money list with earnings surpassing $900,000. Dawson’s good form has continued this season, steering his way to a T7 at the ACE Group Classic, but his first Champions Tour ‘victory’ of sorts came at another track – the Daytona International Speedway, just an hour’s drive north on I-95 from his home in Merritt Island.
Dawson, representing the Champions Tour, joined LPGA star Paula Creamer, NASCAR identities Michael and Darrell Waltrip, driver Denny Hamlin and FOX Sports personalities Holly Sonders and Brad Faxon in a Shot for Charity.
The event was organized to promote awareness for FOX Sports much-anticipated broadcasts of USGA championships in 2015 and this weekend’s Daytona 500. The charity component allowed participants the chance to contribute to a charity of their choice.
Participants each had three shots at a temporary floating green set up 85-yards away from a designated tee box on the edge of Lake Lloyd inside the Daytona International Speedway. The goal for each participant was to land all three shots on the green. Dawson, who traveled to the event with his wife, Heather, and brother, Eric, on a sunny but cold Wednesday, claimed the victory by landing two of his three shots on the surface of the floating green.
“It went very well for team Dawson,” he said with a smile. “Maybe I should have shanked a few balls in the water. It was all in good fun of course.”
The biggest smiles will be on the faces of the kids at The First Tee of Lakeland who will benefit from the $10,000 Dawson earned on their behalf. The facility opened on May 1, 2005 and is now a newly remodeled nine-hole course with a lighted driving range, two bunkers and three practice greens. Dawson has been a supporter since the beginning.
“I really appreciated the invitation to participate today,” said Dawson. “I helped out The First Tee of Lakeland when they first opened by contributing some equipment like irons, balls, gloves and hats so it’s a good feeling to be able to assist with this contribution.”
As Dawson negotiates his way through the 2015 season, his first ‘official’ Champions Tour victory may be just around the next corner.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017