Compton inspires during Frys.com Open junior clinic
October 9, 2014
NAPA, Calif.- With a new season on the PGA TOUR comes the same old Erik Compton. That’s a good thing. On Wednesday of this week’s Frys.com Open, the first event of the 2014-2015 season, the two-time heart transplant made time for area kids at an afternoon youth clinic. Everywhere he goes, he makes time for kids or folks fighting an uphill battle with life, just as he did on two occasions.
Joining Compton were fellow TOUR members Andres Romero, Kevin Kisner and Martin Flores. Kids from the First Tee Silicon Valley, First Tee Contra Costa and the Boys and Girls Club of America were treated to golf tips, shot-making demonstrations and insights into the mind of a professional.
Also in attendance were several guests from the California Transplant Donor Network, who were personally invited by Compton as part of his ongoing committment to raising organ donation awareness.
“I never get tired of things like this,” Compton said. “When we have a chance to brighten a kid’s day by spending a little time with them, I’m in every time. I remember being a kid and how excited I got at the chance to get up close with some of the athletes I admired.”
Despite a lengthy pro-am earlier in the day, Compton hung around to pose for countless pictures and sign autographs.
“When you really think about it, this kind of thing takes really little time out of a day, but it means so much to kids,” Compton said. “It’s the least I can do. After all, you never really know how much the little things can mean to someone.”
To learn more about Compton's partnership with Donate Life America, please click here.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017