The Rory Foundation's 'major' donation to Cancer Fund for Children
May 13, 2014
Two-time major golf champion Rory McIlroy’s charitable foundation has donated £1 million to the Cancer Fund for Children.
Rory McIlroy set up the Rory Foundation in 2013 with the aim of supporting children’s charities from around the world and to give kids a helping hand. The Northern Ireland native has a close association with Cancer Fund for Children, a charity that provides practical and emotional support for children and young people diagnosed with cancer, having recently visited their brand new therapeutic short break centre Daisy Lodge in Newcastle Co. Down to meet children and teenagers they support.
The Rory Foundation has committed £1 million to the Cancer Fund for Children over a period of 4 years to support the running of Daisy Lodge. The family facility, which is the first of its kind in the UK and Ireland, opened in April 2014 and will be able to provide free short breaks to up to 500 families affected by cancer every year.
With the new facility, which is built in the style of a mountain lodge, Cancer Fund for Children aims to set a global standard in the provision of a therapeutic centre dedicated to families nursing a child with cancer by providing families a much-needed chance to relax and recuperate away from the gruelling routine of hospital visits, stress and worry.
Daisy Lodge features include six double family suites, four therapy rooms, a range of age-appropriate play areas, two communal lounge areas, large open dining space, specialist kitchen facilities, cinema and safe outdoor play areas. Cancer Fund for Children’s team of Specialists will be on hand to provide one-to-one support and an expanded range of therapeutic and complementary treatments to help rejuvenate families who are simply exhausted and quite literally running on empty.
Gillian Creevy, Chief Executive of Cancer Fund for Children said, “Rory’s personal commitment to our work over the last 18 months has been so much appreciated. Despite his time being so valuable and demands on him so great, he has still managed to create opportunities to personally meet with children living with cancer - and every time he does, he leaves behind young people with their spirits and self-esteem well and truly lifted. This wonderful donation will help us provide short breaks to many families and young people whose lives have been shattered by a childhood cancer diagnosis.”
Speaking about his donation to support Cancer Fund for Children, McIlroy said, “The Rory Foundation sets out to give children a helping hand. It’s that simple. I was overwhelmed on a visit to the brand new therapeutic short break centre, Daisy Lodge, in Newcastle Co Down late last year - overwhelmed by the honesty, the courage and the warmth of the children and teenagers there and immediately made the decision the enhance my support of the Cancer Fund for Children.”
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016