Marc Leishman donates $7,000 to We Promise Foundation
May 13, 2014
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.- Australia native and PGA TOUR player Marc Leishman recently donated $7,000 to Chartway Federal Credit Union’s We Promise Foundation to make dreams come true for children facing life-threatening or debilitating diseases.
The 2009 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year gave this generous donation following his participation in The Presidents Cup 2013 at Muirfield Village. Led by iconic captains Fred Couples and Nick Price, the U.S. and International Teams provided a thrilling week of head-to-head competition as 24 of the world’s best golfers squared off in one of the most highly anticipated events on golf’s global calendar. The U.S. team captured The Presidents Cup for the fifth consecutive time and eighth overall, led by a 4-1-0 performance by Tiger Woods. Woods clinched the victory for the U.S. Team for the third straight time, becoming the first player in event history to accomplish that feat.
The Presidents Cup is a unique golf event in that there is no purse or prize money. Players are not paid for their participation; instead, each competitor, captain, and captain’s assistance allocates their portion of the proceeds generated to chosen charitable causes.
In 2012, Leishman played in the We Promise Foundation’s annual Charity Golf Classic held in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and taught some of the youngsters in attendance how to putt. “Marc Leishman may be known as a famous golf pro,” said John W. Blum, chairman of Chartway’s We Promise Foundation. “But to a child suffering from a debilitating and irreversible disease, he will instantly become a hero. Marc’s generous donation will help children receive a once-in-a-lifetime dream come true to a fun destination or a magical moment.”
Chartway’s We Promise Foundation is dedicated to bringing smiles to the faces of children battling life-threatening illnesses by giving them the gift of their dream come true. Since 1999, Chartway and its We Promise Foundation have raised more than $5.8 million through events like its annual Diamonds in the Sky Gala, Annual Charity Golf Classic, Century Bike Tour and more, to give young heroes a reason to smile and a chance to dream beyond their wildest imaginations.
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- THE PLAYERS announces $8.5 million raised for charity in 2016 11/03/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016