Marc Leishman donates $7,000 to We Promise Foundation
May 13, 2014
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.- Australia native and PGA TOUR player Marc Leishman recently donated $7,000 to Chartway Federal Credit Union’s We Promise Foundation to make dreams come true for children facing life-threatening or debilitating diseases.
The 2009 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year gave this generous donation following his participation in The Presidents Cup 2013 at Muirfield Village. Led by iconic captains Fred Couples and Nick Price, the U.S. and International Teams provided a thrilling week of head-to-head competition as 24 of the world’s best golfers squared off in one of the most highly anticipated events on golf’s global calendar. The U.S. team captured The Presidents Cup for the fifth consecutive time and eighth overall, led by a 4-1-0 performance by Tiger Woods. Woods clinched the victory for the U.S. Team for the third straight time, becoming the first player in event history to accomplish that feat.
The Presidents Cup is a unique golf event in that there is no purse or prize money. Players are not paid for their participation; instead, each competitor, captain, and captain’s assistance allocates their portion of the proceeds generated to chosen charitable causes.
In 2012, Leishman played in the We Promise Foundation’s annual Charity Golf Classic held in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and taught some of the youngsters in attendance how to putt. “Marc Leishman may be known as a famous golf pro,” said John W. Blum, chairman of Chartway’s We Promise Foundation. “But to a child suffering from a debilitating and irreversible disease, he will instantly become a hero. Marc’s generous donation will help children receive a once-in-a-lifetime dream come true to a fun destination or a magical moment.”
Chartway’s We Promise Foundation is dedicated to bringing smiles to the faces of children battling life-threatening illnesses by giving them the gift of their dream come true. Since 1999, Chartway and its We Promise Foundation have raised more than $5.8 million through events like its annual Diamonds in the Sky Gala, Annual Charity Golf Classic, Century Bike Tour and more, to give young heroes a reason to smile and a chance to dream beyond their wildest imaginations.
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015
- Wyndham Championship supports local Piedmont Triad community during tournament week 08/18/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence opens its doors to students 08/17/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives team with PGA of America spouses, Kohler to promote literacy 08/13/2015
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives team with Habitat for Humanity to spruce up Missouri community 08/12/2015
- Champions Tour players energize youth at Shaw Charity Classic 08/10/2015