Valero Texas Open raises $9 million for children's charities in 2014
March 31, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, TX – The Valero Texas Open and Benefit for Children have raised a combined $9 million that will be distributed to children’s charities across the country, Valero and Valero Texas Open officials announced today.
The amount was announced during Valero Energy Corporation President Joe Gorder’s live interview with NBC Sports during tournament coverage earlier today. It puts the Valero Texas Open closer to the “Drive to $100 Million” milestone. Since its title sponsorship began in 2002, Valero has helped raise a total of $90.5 million.
“For us, this is what the tournament is all about,” Gorder said. “It's about the hundreds of children's charities that benefit from our efforts, and the constant support of our spectators and sponsors.”
Each year, the Valero Texas Open and Benefit for Children raise money for children’s charities through sponsorships, pro-am golf tournaments, the Birdies for Charity program – in which nonprofit organizations solicit pledges for every birdie made during tournament week – and the Chip In for Schools program, which allows schools to sell discounted tournament tickets and keep all the proceeds. The Benefit for Children, which will take place tomorrow, brings together about 2,500 amateur golfers at 11 courses around San Antonio, as well as more than a hundred participants in a sporting clays shooting competition.
The funds are distributed in the fall to children’s charities in areas across the country where Valero has major operations. Committees made up of Valero employees choose deserving children’s charities in their areas, and the funds are distributed to those areas in the proportions that they were raised.
Besides helping Valero close in on the $100 million milestone, the $9 million raised by this year’s Valero Texas Open puts the tournament among the top charitable fundraisers on the PGA TOUR.
Valero’s title sponsorship of the tournament runs through 2018, giving the Valero Texas Open the potential to continue raising many more millions of dollars for children’s charities.
“We aren’t going to stop at $100 million,” Gorder said. “It’s just a milestone.”
This is the second year that Greg Norman Production Company, a subsidiary of Great White Shark Enterprises, has overseen management of the Valero Texas Open.
“We are very proud of the success of this year’s Valero Texas Open,” said the tournament’s Executive Director, Larson Segerdahl. “This long-standing event is on the rise thanks to the support of Valero, our many corporate partners, the thousands of volunteers who dedicate their time, talent and energy to this endeavor, and of course the entire San Antonio community for supporting this great San Antonio tradition.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017