Military families benefit from Quicken Loans sponsorship announcement
March 24, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.– The PGA TOUR and tournament host organization Tiger Woods Foundation today announced Detroit-based Quicken Loans, the nation’s second largest retail mortgage lender, has signed a multi-year agreement to become title sponsor of the Quicken Loans National beginning this year.
The Quicken Loans National will be held Monday, June 23 - Sunday, June 29 at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md. The tournament, now in its eighth year, has quickly become one of the premier sporting events in the Washington D.C. area, welcoming more than 150,000 fans to witness 120 of the world’s best golfers compete for a $6.5 million purse.
In addition to the title sponsorship, Quicken Loans will join the PGA TOUR’s Official Marketing Partner program and receive the exclusive designation as “Official Mortgage Sponsor of the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour.”
“On behalf of the PGA TOUR, I am extremely pleased to welcome Quicken Loans as the new title sponsor of the National,” PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem said. “Quicken Loans has established itself as a highly respected company, a leader in the mortgage lending business and a company that has a strong commitment to charitable giving. We look forward to working with their team to maximize its experience and impact as tournament sponsor, as well as an Official Marketing Partner.”
“Quicken Loans is looking forward to partnering with the PGA TOUR and Tiger Woods Foundation to bring a world-class golf experience to players and fans alike,” Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson said. “Quicken Loans has a strong tradition of honoring and supporting military personnel and we look forward to continuing that tradition in conjunction with the PGA TOUR and Tiger Woods Foundation.”
To celebrate the sponsorship, three D.C.-area military families participated in a putting challenge alongside Tiger Woods and Emerson. With a little help from Tiger and Emerson, the families won a total of $4,800 towards their mortgage payments from Quicken Loans. In addition to the winnings, Quicken Loans also donated a total of $30,000 to the Tiger Woods Foundation, Troops First Foundation, and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
“It was a dream come true to putt alongside Tiger Woods with my whole family watching,” said Lieutenant Colonel Glenn L. Laird, a D.C. resident and one of three Quicken Loans clients to be selected to participate in the putting challenge. “It was an honor to meet a golfing legend.”
Quicken Loans replaces AT&T, which has sponsored the tournament since its inception in 2007. AT&T’s sponsorship was through 2014, but agreed to evolve its role to become a “Founding Sponsor” of the tournament and allow Quicken Loans to assume title sponsorship this year.
“This tournament has raised nearly $17 million, providing college scholarships, learning centers and grants for thousands of low-income young people in the region,” Tiger Woods said. “I’m grateful to AT&T for their ongoing support of my foundation, and I’m thrilled this partnership with Quicken Loans will help further our charitable outreach and provide a great tournament for D.C. area fans.”
The Quicken Loans National will continue to raise funds and awareness for the college-access programs of the Tiger Woods Foundation. Currently, the foundation operates three Tiger Woods Learning Centers in Washington, D.C., and the nearby Marine Corps Base - Quantico. This innovative educational program provides interactive STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) curricula to students in Wards 6 and 7 and through a partnership with Marine Corps Community Services. Additionally, the foundation has welcomed 25 Washington, D.C.-based students into the Earl Woods Scholarship Program, where 100 percent of scholars graduate with a bachelor’s degree or better. The Quicken Loans National will also continue to serve as a leader on the PGA TOUR for recognition and support of U.S. military personnel during tournament week.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015