Furyk & Friends event raises $450,000 to help needy families in North Florida
March 24, 2014
(Photos by: Stan Badz/PGA TOUR)
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.– The Jim and Tabitha Furyk Foundation announced that the fourth annual Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic raised $450,000 for Greater Jacksonville children and families in need.
"We are so grateful to all our sponsors and donors for helping us raise $450,000 this year and donations are still coming in,” said Jim Furyk. “We are looking forward to putting the funds to good use and to help as many children as possible."
Proceeds from the 2014 Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic will support specific projects including providing food for at least five elementary schools through Blessings in a Backpack, Community PedsCare, Operation Shower, Wolfson Children’s Hospital and many other charitable projects.
Since 2011, The Furyk & Friends annual fundraising event has raised more than $1.2 million to benefit local children’s charities in northeast Florida.
Held March 16-17, the event featured a private concert by Grammy-winning recording artist Darius Rocker and a celebrity golf tournament at Sawgrass Country Club. Celebrity participants in the tournament included baseball legend Reggie Jackson and former NFL greats Lynn Swann and Jerome Bettis, joined by a host of PGA TOUR professionals including Furyk, Davis Love III, Zach Johnson and Justin Leonard. Golf Channel’s Morning Drive program broadcast live all morning from the event, hosted by Peter Jacobsen, David Feherty and Damon Hack.
Despite a deluge of rain in the early part of the day, a record-number 33 groups participated in the tournament. When conditions forced play to end after nine holes, the participants were entertained by a Q&A session hosted by “Mr. October” Reggie Jackson and treated to delicious St. Patrick's-themed food and drinks prepared by local chefs. Awards were given for the best scores for nine holes, closest to the pin, longest drive and closest to the line.
“Tabitha and I are so fortunate to have the support of the community and so many friends from around the country to make this a successful event,” said Furyk. “Conditions were not perfect, but everyone found a way to rally, have fun, and together we raised a lot of money for Jacksonville charities.”
Sponsors for the 2014 Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic included AT&T, Web.com, Snow Capital, Aitken & Associates, Merrill Lynch, 5-Hour Energy, Wells Fargo, Interline and MedjetAssist.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015