Furyk & Friends event raises $450,000 to help needy families in North Florida
March 24, 2014
(Photos by: Stan Badz/PGA TOUR)
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.– The Jim and Tabitha Furyk Foundation announced that the fourth annual Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic raised $450,000 for Greater Jacksonville children and families in need.
"We are so grateful to all our sponsors and donors for helping us raise $450,000 this year and donations are still coming in,” said Jim Furyk. “We are looking forward to putting the funds to good use and to help as many children as possible."
Proceeds from the 2014 Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic will support specific projects including providing food for at least five elementary schools through Blessings in a Backpack, Community PedsCare, Operation Shower, Wolfson Children’s Hospital and many other charitable projects.
Since 2011, The Furyk & Friends annual fundraising event has raised more than $1.2 million to benefit local children’s charities in northeast Florida.
Held March 16-17, the event featured a private concert by Grammy-winning recording artist Darius Rocker and a celebrity golf tournament at Sawgrass Country Club. Celebrity participants in the tournament included baseball legend Reggie Jackson and former NFL greats Lynn Swann and Jerome Bettis, joined by a host of PGA TOUR professionals including Furyk, Davis Love III, Zach Johnson and Justin Leonard. Golf Channel’s Morning Drive program broadcast live all morning from the event, hosted by Peter Jacobsen, David Feherty and Damon Hack.
Despite a deluge of rain in the early part of the day, a record-number 33 groups participated in the tournament. When conditions forced play to end after nine holes, the participants were entertained by a Q&A session hosted by “Mr. October” Reggie Jackson and treated to delicious St. Patrick's-themed food and drinks prepared by local chefs. Awards were given for the best scores for nine holes, closest to the pin, longest drive and closest to the line.
“Tabitha and I are so fortunate to have the support of the community and so many friends from around the country to make this a successful event,” said Furyk. “Conditions were not perfect, but everyone found a way to rally, have fun, and together we raised a lot of money for Jacksonville charities.”
Sponsors for the 2014 Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic included AT&T, Web.com, Snow Capital, Aitken & Associates, Merrill Lynch, 5-Hour Energy, Wells Fargo, Interline and MedjetAssist.
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014
- Web.com Tour announces 2014 Volunteer of the Year 12/10/2014
- Jason Day to host charity tournament at Muirfield Village in 2015 12/05/2014
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/03/2014
- VIDEO: Jason Dufner, Auburn athletics team up to tackle child hunger 12/03/2014