Funk shares joy of reading with Biloxi school children
March 19, 2014
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
BILOXI, Miss. – Champions Tour professional Fred Funk took time out of his busy schedule to read to a group of preschool children on Tuesday, demonstrating that even in today’s social-media conscious world, there’s more to learning than messages in 140 characters. Funk’s charitable appearance today at the “Read To Me” event was part of the Excel By 5 initiative, in partnership with Chevron and the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, this week’s stop on the Champions Tour.
Funk went to the Biloxi Family Resource Center this morning and read a Curious George book about golf to a group of 10 children. He then signed Chevron STEM ZONE visors for each child in attendance, and the kids also received a special book as a gift for participating.
“It was lots of fun and the kids were very engaging,” Funk said afterward. “I found it very rewarding to be able to spend time reading to them and I hope what I did today will get them started reading books at a very young age.”
The Excel By 5 “Read To Me” initiative was originally started in Mississippi and Chevron hopes to expand this program nationwide. Literacy is one component that promotes brain development in young children particularly from the time of birth to five years old.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015