Funk shares joy of reading with Biloxi school children
March 19, 2014
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
BILOXI, Miss. – Champions Tour professional Fred Funk took time out of his busy schedule to read to a group of preschool children on Tuesday, demonstrating that even in today’s social-media conscious world, there’s more to learning than messages in 140 characters. Funk’s charitable appearance today at the “Read To Me” event was part of the Excel By 5 initiative, in partnership with Chevron and the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, this week’s stop on the Champions Tour.
Funk went to the Biloxi Family Resource Center this morning and read a Curious George book about golf to a group of 10 children. He then signed Chevron STEM ZONE visors for each child in attendance, and the kids also received a special book as a gift for participating.
“It was lots of fun and the kids were very engaging,” Funk said afterward. “I found it very rewarding to be able to spend time reading to them and I hope what I did today will get them started reading books at a very young age.”
The Excel By 5 “Read To Me” initiative was originally started in Mississippi and Chevron hopes to expand this program nationwide. Literacy is one component that promotes brain development in young children particularly from the time of birth to five years old.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016
- CareerBuilder Challenge volunteer John Hamaliuk donates $10,000 to Boys & Girls Club through PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 03/30/2016