Funk shares joy of reading with Biloxi school children
March 19, 2014
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
BILOXI, Miss. – Champions Tour professional Fred Funk took time out of his busy schedule to read to a group of preschool children on Tuesday, demonstrating that even in today’s social-media conscious world, there’s more to learning than messages in 140 characters. Funk’s charitable appearance today at the “Read To Me” event was part of the Excel By 5 initiative, in partnership with Chevron and the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, this week’s stop on the Champions Tour.
Funk went to the Biloxi Family Resource Center this morning and read a Curious George book about golf to a group of 10 children. He then signed Chevron STEM ZONE visors for each child in attendance, and the kids also received a special book as a gift for participating.
“It was lots of fun and the kids were very engaging,” Funk said afterward. “I found it very rewarding to be able to spend time reading to them and I hope what I did today will get them started reading books at a very young age.”
The Excel By 5 “Read To Me” initiative was originally started in Mississippi and Chevron hopes to expand this program nationwide. Literacy is one component that promotes brain development in young children particularly from the time of birth to five years old.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open donates $50K to local food bank 11/26/2014
- Frys.com Open awards $1 million to charity 11/26/2014
- Making a Difference: Golf’s Charitable Impact 11/25/2014
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out at Police Athletic League 11/24/2014
- Champions Tour official honored for his commitment to military charities 11/24/2014
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 11/21/2014
- Jim Hunt named 2014 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for service to the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 11/21/2014
- BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX announces 2015 charity partners 11/19/2014
- Billy Horschel visits Feeding Northeast Florida during THE PLAYERS' giving back month 11/19/2014
- WinCo Foods Portland Open delivers $725,000 to Oregon charities 11/18/2014