Funk shares joy of reading with Biloxi school children
March 19, 2014
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
BILOXI, Miss. – Champions Tour professional Fred Funk took time out of his busy schedule to read to a group of preschool children on Tuesday, demonstrating that even in today’s social-media conscious world, there’s more to learning than messages in 140 characters. Funk’s charitable appearance today at the “Read To Me” event was part of the Excel By 5 initiative, in partnership with Chevron and the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, this week’s stop on the Champions Tour.
Funk went to the Biloxi Family Resource Center this morning and read a Curious George book about golf to a group of 10 children. He then signed Chevron STEM ZONE visors for each child in attendance, and the kids also received a special book as a gift for participating.
“It was lots of fun and the kids were very engaging,” Funk said afterward. “I found it very rewarding to be able to spend time reading to them and I hope what I did today will get them started reading books at a very young age.”
The Excel By 5 “Read To Me” initiative was originally started in Mississippi and Chevron hopes to expand this program nationwide. Literacy is one component that promotes brain development in young children particularly from the time of birth to five years old.
- On the heels of war, a healing opportunity during The Barclays 09/02/2015
- VIDEO: Keegan Bradley hosts fourth annual charity tournament in Vermont 09/02/2015
- PGA TOUR teams with Nike Oven to create unique Make-A-Wish experience for leukemia patient 08/28/2015
- VIDEO: 98-year-old Dick's Sporting Goods Open volunteer still going strong 08/28/2015
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- National Capital Open to Support Our Troops about more than just golf 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015