Funk shares joy of reading with Biloxi school children
March 19, 2014
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
BILOXI, Miss. – Champions Tour professional Fred Funk took time out of his busy schedule to read to a group of preschool children on Tuesday, demonstrating that even in today’s social-media conscious world, there’s more to learning than messages in 140 characters. Funk’s charitable appearance today at the “Read To Me” event was part of the Excel By 5 initiative, in partnership with Chevron and the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, this week’s stop on the Champions Tour.
Funk went to the Biloxi Family Resource Center this morning and read a Curious George book about golf to a group of 10 children. He then signed Chevron STEM ZONE visors for each child in attendance, and the kids also received a special book as a gift for participating.
“It was lots of fun and the kids were very engaging,” Funk said afterward. “I found it very rewarding to be able to spend time reading to them and I hope what I did today will get them started reading books at a very young age.”
The Excel By 5 “Read To Me” initiative was originally started in Mississippi and Chevron hopes to expand this program nationwide. Literacy is one component that promotes brain development in young children particularly from the time of birth to five years old.
- MD Anderson educating public and professionals at Insperity Invitational 05/03/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives support "Stuff a Caddy for Kids" during United Leasing Championship 04/30/2015
- Wells Fargo donates $1 million to The First Tee 04/27/2015
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015