Johnson’s birdie campaign for Cook Children’s nets $7,000
June 6, 2014
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
To Dustin Johnson, a T14 finish at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial a few weeks ago was nice, but the real impact wasn’t the finish itself, but the process through which he went to get to that finish. In fact, his every move on the course was likely followed by a lot of new fans with vested interests.
On Tuesday of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, Johnson was among a few players who paid a visit to Cook Children’s Medical Center, the primary beneficiary of the tournament. It was then and there that he decided to join a popular trend among PGA TOUR players as a way to give back. For each birdie he made at Colonial CC, Johnson would donate $500 to the Center.
True to his word, on Thursday at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, Johnson cut a $7,000 check to cover his 14 birdies. Fitting, as it was here in Memphis last year when Johnson took time early in the week to visit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In 2013, Johnson purchased a number of auction items, with all the money benefitting St. Jude.
“I want to help support kids in any way I can,” the 2012 FedEx St. Jude Classic champion said. “They do such a great job at Cook Children’s Medical Center. It’s a wonderful facility. I was really glad to get to go there and visit with some of the kids.”
As Johnson looked around him at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2013, he commented on the perspective such a setting provides. A foster of humility, he pointed out the smiles on the kids’ faces and the joy such a simple, yet memorable act brings. “It’s something that makes a difference to these kids forever,” he said. “It does for us, too.” A year later, Johnson’s attitude and approach to kids is still very evident of that.
“I wanted to do something,” Johnson said. They do so much for kids that are struggling. So, anytime I can help out and give back is something I’d like to be a part of.”
- Billy Horschel takes aim at hunger in Northest Florida 05/29/2015
- Shaw Charity Classic teams with AltaLink for 2015 Birdies for Kids fundraising program 05/26/2015
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015