Johnson’s birdie campaign for Cook Children’s nets $7,000
June 6, 2014
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
To Dustin Johnson, a T14 finish at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial a few weeks ago was nice, but the real impact wasn’t the finish itself, but the process through which he went to get to that finish. In fact, his every move on the course was likely followed by a lot of new fans with vested interests.
On Tuesday of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, Johnson was among a few players who paid a visit to Cook Children’s Medical Center, the primary beneficiary of the tournament. It was then and there that he decided to join a popular trend among PGA TOUR players as a way to give back. For each birdie he made at Colonial CC, Johnson would donate $500 to the Center.
True to his word, on Thursday at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, Johnson cut a $7,000 check to cover his 14 birdies. Fitting, as it was here in Memphis last year when Johnson took time early in the week to visit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In 2013, Johnson purchased a number of auction items, with all the money benefitting St. Jude.
“I want to help support kids in any way I can,” the 2012 FedEx St. Jude Classic champion said. “They do such a great job at Cook Children’s Medical Center. It’s a wonderful facility. I was really glad to get to go there and visit with some of the kids.”
As Johnson looked around him at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2013, he commented on the perspective such a setting provides. A foster of humility, he pointed out the smiles on the kids’ faces and the joy such a simple, yet memorable act brings. “It’s something that makes a difference to these kids forever,” he said. “It does for us, too.” A year later, Johnson’s attitude and approach to kids is still very evident of that.
“I wanted to do something,” Johnson said. They do so much for kids that are struggling. So, anytime I can help out and give back is something I’d like to be a part of.”
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016