Johnson’s birdie campaign for Cook Children’s nets $7,000
June 6, 2014
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
To Dustin Johnson, a T14 finish at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial a few weeks ago was nice, but the real impact wasn’t the finish itself, but the process through which he went to get to that finish. In fact, his every move on the course was likely followed by a lot of new fans with vested interests.
On Tuesday of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, Johnson was among a few players who paid a visit to Cook Children’s Medical Center, the primary beneficiary of the tournament. It was then and there that he decided to join a popular trend among PGA TOUR players as a way to give back. For each birdie he made at Colonial CC, Johnson would donate $500 to the Center.
True to his word, on Thursday at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, Johnson cut a $7,000 check to cover his 14 birdies. Fitting, as it was here in Memphis last year when Johnson took time early in the week to visit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In 2013, Johnson purchased a number of auction items, with all the money benefitting St. Jude.
“I want to help support kids in any way I can,” the 2012 FedEx St. Jude Classic champion said. “They do such a great job at Cook Children’s Medical Center. It’s a wonderful facility. I was really glad to get to go there and visit with some of the kids.”
As Johnson looked around him at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2013, he commented on the perspective such a setting provides. A foster of humility, he pointed out the smiles on the kids’ faces and the joy such a simple, yet memorable act brings. “It’s something that makes a difference to these kids forever,” he said. “It does for us, too.” A year later, Johnson’s attitude and approach to kids is still very evident of that.
“I wanted to do something,” Johnson said. They do so much for kids that are struggling. So, anytime I can help out and give back is something I’d like to be a part of.”
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Evansville Community Benefits from Web.com Tour Event 04/27/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016