Johnson’s birdie campaign for Cook Children’s nets $7,000
June 6, 2014
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
To Dustin Johnson, a T14 finish at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial a few weeks ago was nice, but the real impact wasn’t the finish itself, but the process through which he went to get to that finish. In fact, his every move on the course was likely followed by a lot of new fans with vested interests.
On Tuesday of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, Johnson was among a few players who paid a visit to Cook Children’s Medical Center, the primary beneficiary of the tournament. It was then and there that he decided to join a popular trend among PGA TOUR players as a way to give back. For each birdie he made at Colonial CC, Johnson would donate $500 to the Center.
True to his word, on Thursday at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, Johnson cut a $7,000 check to cover his 14 birdies. Fitting, as it was here in Memphis last year when Johnson took time early in the week to visit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In 2013, Johnson purchased a number of auction items, with all the money benefitting St. Jude.
“I want to help support kids in any way I can,” the 2012 FedEx St. Jude Classic champion said. “They do such a great job at Cook Children’s Medical Center. It’s a wonderful facility. I was really glad to get to go there and visit with some of the kids.”
As Johnson looked around him at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2013, he commented on the perspective such a setting provides. A foster of humility, he pointed out the smiles on the kids’ faces and the joy such a simple, yet memorable act brings. “It’s something that makes a difference to these kids forever,” he said. “It does for us, too.” A year later, Johnson’s attitude and approach to kids is still very evident of that.
“I wanted to do something,” Johnson said. They do so much for kids that are struggling. So, anytime I can help out and give back is something I’d like to be a part of.”
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017