Western N.C. third-graders win Greater Hickory Kia Classic ticket design contest
June 20, 2014
CONOVER, N.C. – Hundreds entered, but only two could win, and those two Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket-design contest winners have been selected, the tournament announced this week. The 12th annual Champions Tour event in Catawba County is set for Oct. 13-19 at Rock Barn Golf & Spa.
Artwork from Shawn Pendleton, a third grader at W.A. Young Elementary School in Morganton, N.C., and Sierra Sharp, a third grader from South Newton Elementary School in Newton, N.C., will be featured on tickets for this year’s Greater Hickory Kia Classic. Both winners will receive the following prize package:
- $500.00 donated to each winner’s school
- $100.00 savings bond awarded to each winning student
- $100.00 Kaplan school supply gift certificate to each winning student’s teacher
- Rock Barn Spa gift certificate for each winning student’s teacher
The contest winners will also have their photo taken with the tournament's defending champion, Michael Allen, and throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the Hickory Crawdads game on August 14.
“The Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket design contest received many creative, funny and interesting pieces of artwork,” executive tournament director Jim Correll said. “With around 400 entries, our judges had a tough job narrowing them down to 12 finalists, but from there, our Board of Directors voted to select the winners. Congratulations to Sierra and Shawn, and thank you to the more than 400 kids who entered the contest.”
Children from throughout Western North Carolina submitted artwork in hopes of their work being featured on tickets for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn. A panel of judges comprised of people with various connections to the Greater Hickory Kia Classic narrowed the field to 12 finalists, and from there, the two talented young artists were selected. Every student that participated in the 2014 Ticket Design Challenge will receive a free ticket to a Hickory Crawdads game and a free daily ticket for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn.
For more information about the event, please visit greaterhickorykiaclassic.com.
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016
- Danny Lee pledges to support West Virginia recovery efforts by donating to Neighbors Loving Neighbors 07/06/2016
- EZLinks Golf LLC launches TeeOff.com by PGA TOUR online booking fundraising program to benefit Birdies for the Brave 07/02/2016