Western N.C. third-graders win Greater Hickory Kia Classic ticket design contest
June 20, 2014
CONOVER, N.C. – Hundreds entered, but only two could win, and those two Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket-design contest winners have been selected, the tournament announced this week. The 12th annual Champions Tour event in Catawba County is set for Oct. 13-19 at Rock Barn Golf & Spa.
Artwork from Shawn Pendleton, a third grader at W.A. Young Elementary School in Morganton, N.C., and Sierra Sharp, a third grader from South Newton Elementary School in Newton, N.C., will be featured on tickets for this year’s Greater Hickory Kia Classic. Both winners will receive the following prize package:
- $500.00 donated to each winner’s school
- $100.00 savings bond awarded to each winning student
- $100.00 Kaplan school supply gift certificate to each winning student’s teacher
- Rock Barn Spa gift certificate for each winning student’s teacher
The contest winners will also have their photo taken with the tournament's defending champion, Michael Allen, and throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the Hickory Crawdads game on August 14.
“The Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket design contest received many creative, funny and interesting pieces of artwork,” executive tournament director Jim Correll said. “With around 400 entries, our judges had a tough job narrowing them down to 12 finalists, but from there, our Board of Directors voted to select the winners. Congratulations to Sierra and Shawn, and thank you to the more than 400 kids who entered the contest.”
Children from throughout Western North Carolina submitted artwork in hopes of their work being featured on tickets for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn. A panel of judges comprised of people with various connections to the Greater Hickory Kia Classic narrowed the field to 12 finalists, and from there, the two talented young artists were selected. Every student that participated in the 2014 Ticket Design Challenge will receive a free ticket to a Hickory Crawdads game and a free daily ticket for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn.
For more information about the event, please visit greaterhickorykiaclassic.com.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open sets new charity record with over $9 million raised in 2015 10/09/2015
- 2015 Travelers Championship generates more than $1.56 million for charity 10/08/2015
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015