Western N.C. third-graders win Greater Hickory Kia Classic ticket design contest
June 20, 2014
CONOVER, N.C. – Hundreds entered, but only two could win, and those two Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket-design contest winners have been selected, the tournament announced this week. The 12th annual Champions Tour event in Catawba County is set for Oct. 13-19 at Rock Barn Golf & Spa.
Artwork from Shawn Pendleton, a third grader at W.A. Young Elementary School in Morganton, N.C., and Sierra Sharp, a third grader from South Newton Elementary School in Newton, N.C., will be featured on tickets for this year’s Greater Hickory Kia Classic. Both winners will receive the following prize package:
- $500.00 donated to each winner’s school
- $100.00 savings bond awarded to each winning student
- $100.00 Kaplan school supply gift certificate to each winning student’s teacher
- Rock Barn Spa gift certificate for each winning student’s teacher
The contest winners will also have their photo taken with the tournament's defending champion, Michael Allen, and throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the Hickory Crawdads game on August 14.
“The Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn ticket design contest received many creative, funny and interesting pieces of artwork,” executive tournament director Jim Correll said. “With around 400 entries, our judges had a tough job narrowing them down to 12 finalists, but from there, our Board of Directors voted to select the winners. Congratulations to Sierra and Shawn, and thank you to the more than 400 kids who entered the contest.”
Children from throughout Western North Carolina submitted artwork in hopes of their work being featured on tickets for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn. A panel of judges comprised of people with various connections to the Greater Hickory Kia Classic narrowed the field to 12 finalists, and from there, the two talented young artists were selected. Every student that participated in the 2014 Ticket Design Challenge will receive a free ticket to a Hickory Crawdads game and a free daily ticket for the 2014 Greater Hickory Kia Classic at Rock Barn.
For more information about the event, please visit greaterhickorykiaclassic.com.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015