Zach Johnson Foundation announces Kids on Course program expansion
July 2, 2014
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – PGA TOUR player and Cedar Rapids native Zach Johnson announced on June 30 that Kids on Course, a program fully funded by the Zach Johnson Foundation, will be expanding its reach to Grant Elementary School in the Cedar Rapids Community School District starting next school year.
“This is exactly what we were hoping for from day one. That Kids on Course would make a big difference and then reach even more children and their families by working within more schools,” said Johnson.
Zach Johnson made the announcement at the Kids on Course academic summer camp called KOC University at Harrison Elementary. Families from Grant Elementary, members of the Zach Johnson Foundation Board, representatives from the Kids on Course Advisory Board and more than 100 students participating in KOC University attended the announcement. KOC University is a six week half-day program targeting students who are not yet on grade level on reading or math. Certified teachers deliver instruction, breakfast and lunch are provided, and there is no cost to attend.
“When the staff at Grant Elementary learned we were being considered as a Kids on Course school we were overjoyed. Now that it’s official we cannot wait to start bringing what this program offers to our students and families,” said Grant Elementary Principal Monica Frey.
Kids on Course just completed its pilot phase after three years at Van Buren Elementary and Harrison Elementary Schools. The program places Kids on Course staff within the schools to provide tutoring, mentoring, after school enrichment, family engagement outreach and mental health supports. While it is a whole-school strategy, parents have the option of enrolling their children in a more intense involvement that guarantees a child will be on track academically within four years of involvement. Kids on Course reaches more than 750 students at the two schools, with 255 opting into the more intensive track. With the addition of Grant Elementary, Kids on Course will potentially impact more than 1,000 through its strategies and have an estimated 300 commit most fully.
The Zach Johnson Foundation fully funds the program and developed it in coordination with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and the United Way of East Central Iowa. Kids on Course focuses on four areas in order to help students reach their potential: student enrichment and engagement, family engagement, addressing barriers to student learning and success and academic support.
Kids on Course supports the academic potential of students through these four pillars:
· Family Engagement - home visits, monthly family meals at school, conferences redesign
· Support Learning - tutoring during and after school, KOC University, Kindergarten Page Pals
· Enrichment - after school sports, arts and drama; college visits for all fourth and fifth graders
· Address Barriers - $25,000 in mental health support, Hispanic outreach liaison, weekend food bags
For more details regarding Kids on Course, visit kidsoncoursecr.com.
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- J.B. Holmes, Komen of Louisville raise over $200k for breast cancer fight 10/10/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014
- Compton inspires during Frys.com Open junior clinic 10/09/2014
- Rory McIlroy opens pediatric cancer center in Northern Ireland 10/08/2014
- VIDEO: Bubba Watson visits corn maze carved in his honor 10/06/2014
- VIDEO: Erik Compton receives the Buoniconti 'Inspiration Award' 10/01/2014
- YMCA of the Triangle named host charity of the SAS Championship 09/30/2014