PGA TOUR reaches $2 billion in charitable giving
January 22, 2014
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR announced today that it has surpassed $2 billion in all-time charitable giving.
The TOUR and its more than 100 tournaments achieved the milestone just over eight years after announcing the first billion was reached in October 2005, 67 years after the first $10,000 donation was recorded at the 1938 Palm Beach Invitational.
“We take this opportunity to acknowledge this landmark achievement and to thank our tournaments for the outstanding work they do in support of their respective communities every year by supporting over 3,000 local and national charitable organizations,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “At the same time, this is a threshold that we are simply passing as we continue to strive to increase the PGA TOUR’s charitable impact in 2014 and beyond.”
The annual contributions have steadily increased over the years, with 2013 exceeding $133 million. By comparison, the total was $82.8 million 10 years ago. Two tournaments – the HP Byron Nelson Championship and AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am – have exceeded $100 million on their own.
Unlike any other professional sports organization, the PGA TOUR relies on more than 100,000 volunteers annually to run its tournaments, and the vast majority of its tournaments are structured as non-profit organizations designed to donate 100 percent of net proceeds to charity. Community beneficiaries include a wide variety of organizations including hospitals, youth development organizations, growth-of-the-game programs and food banks.
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016