PGA TOUR reaches $2 billion in charitable giving
January 22, 2014
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR announced today that it has surpassed $2 billion in all-time charitable giving.
The TOUR and its more than 100 tournaments achieved the milestone just over eight years after announcing the first billion was reached in October 2005, 67 years after the first $10,000 donation was recorded at the 1938 Palm Beach Invitational.
“We take this opportunity to acknowledge this landmark achievement and to thank our tournaments for the outstanding work they do in support of their respective communities every year by supporting over 3,000 local and national charitable organizations,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “At the same time, this is a threshold that we are simply passing as we continue to strive to increase the PGA TOUR’s charitable impact in 2014 and beyond.”
The annual contributions have steadily increased over the years, with 2013 exceeding $133 million. By comparison, the total was $82.8 million 10 years ago. Two tournaments – the HP Byron Nelson Championship and AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am – have exceeded $100 million on their own.
Unlike any other professional sports organization, the PGA TOUR relies on more than 100,000 volunteers annually to run its tournaments, and the vast majority of its tournaments are structured as non-profit organizations designed to donate 100 percent of net proceeds to charity. Community beneficiaries include a wide variety of organizations including hospitals, youth development organizations, growth-of-the-game programs and food banks.
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave teams with Callaway Golf to honor wounded heroes during DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/26/2016
- Texas native Ryan Palmer gets kids into the swing of things at DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/23/2016
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016