Allenby honored by GWAA for his commitment to fighting cancer
January 29, 2014
HOUSTON– When it comes to the insidious world of cancer, Australian Robert Allenby doesn’t deny that he takes things personally. For nearly 30 years he has carried the pain of losing a childhood friend to leukemia.
“He was just 13, same as me,” said Allenby. “It was just an awful feeling.”
Seven years later, Allenby joined the professional golf ranks and was introduced to an initiative to raise money to help children with cancer. “That first year we had 150 people in a tent and we raised fifty or sixty thousand dollars.”
Now 42 and a member of the PGA Tour since 1999, Allenby has maintained his charitable endeavor in Australia. The Robert Allenby Golf Day and Gala Dinner is 23 years old and from those humble early years it now draws close to a thousand guests and supporters. The money raised is up over $26 million.
In honor of Allenby’s charitable commitment, the Aussie is the recipient of the Golf Writers Association of America’s 2014 Charlie Bartlett Award presented by Aberdeen Asset Management.
The award is given to a playing professional for unselfish contributions to the betterment of society and is given in memory of the GWAA’s first secretary. The award has been presented since 1971 when the inaugural winner was Billy Casper.
Allenby joins a list of winners that includes Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman, Tiger Woods, K.J. Choi, Lorena Ochoa, Ernie Els, Tom Watson and Payne Stewart.
Martin Gilbert, Chief Executive of Aberdeen Asset Management said “As a long standing global golf sponsor, our association with the Charlie Bartlett Award is something we’re particularly proud of. Robert Allenby is a truly worthy winner and we’re honored to present him with this well-earned award.”
“I’m very humbled, very honored,” said Allenby. “But nothing has changed with the cause. We’re still trying to help children with cancer.”
In fact, his efforts have expanded to his adopted home of Jupiter, Fla., because for the last few years Allenby has organized and hosted a three-day BlueWater Golf Invitational that raises money for children with special needs and cancer in Palm Beach County. That event includes fishing, golf, and a gala dinner.
Allenby will receive his award April 9 in Augusta, Ga., during the GWAA’s 42nd Annual Awards Dinner the night before the Masters begins.
The GWAA will also honor Players of Year Adam Scott, Kenny Perry and Inbee Park, William D. Richardson Award winner Rhonda Glenn, Ben Hogan Award presented by ISPS Handa winner Ken Duke and ASAP Sports/Jim Murray Award winner Graeme McDowell at the dinner.
- Shaw Charity Classic teams with AltaLink for 2015 Birdies for Kids fundraising program 05/26/2015
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015