The First Tee Scholars class of 2014 announced
February 7, 2014
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – Since launching The First Tee Scholars Program in 2003, The First Tee has designated 623 participants as The First Tee Scholars, including more than 100 high school seniors who earned The First Tee Scholar – Class of 2014 designation. Through generous donors, The First Tee has funded 112 college scholarships worth more than $1 million since the program began.
“The First Tee emphasizes the importance of transferring life skills and core values learned on the golf course to school and other areas of their life,” said Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee. “We’re proud to recognize these teens as they have excelled in academics and leadership skills, and we look forward to watching them flourish in their post-secondary educational efforts.”
The First Tee Scholars Program recognizes participants for exceptional achievement in academics, leadership, character development and chapter and community involvement. With this designation, participants have the opportunity to apply for any educational scholarship programs offered through The First Tee to attend a participating college or university. More than 20 colleges and universities throughout the United States have partnered with The First Tee to offer merit-based or leadership scholarships that help to offset the cost of attending school.
Applications are accepted once per year from seniors in high school who meet the minimum requirements and are scored by an independent committee.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015