The First Tee Scholars class of 2014 announced
February 7, 2014
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – Since launching The First Tee Scholars Program in 2003, The First Tee has designated 623 participants as The First Tee Scholars, including more than 100 high school seniors who earned The First Tee Scholar – Class of 2014 designation. Through generous donors, The First Tee has funded 112 college scholarships worth more than $1 million since the program began.
“The First Tee emphasizes the importance of transferring life skills and core values learned on the golf course to school and other areas of their life,” said Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee. “We’re proud to recognize these teens as they have excelled in academics and leadership skills, and we look forward to watching them flourish in their post-secondary educational efforts.”
The First Tee Scholars Program recognizes participants for exceptional achievement in academics, leadership, character development and chapter and community involvement. With this designation, participants have the opportunity to apply for any educational scholarship programs offered through The First Tee to attend a participating college or university. More than 20 colleges and universities throughout the United States have partnered with The First Tee to offer merit-based or leadership scholarships that help to offset the cost of attending school.
Applications are accepted once per year from seniors in high school who meet the minimum requirements and are scored by an independent committee.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014