VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland
February 27, 2014
Video reposted from The Rory Foundation.
At the beginning of 2013, The Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children (NICFC) became an early beneficiary of Rory’s decision to start his own charitable Foundation. The Rory Foundation, established to offer support to charities with a special meaning and purpose to Rory, offered the NICFC the opportunity to have their logo appear on Rory’s golf bag during his first European Tour event of 2013 in Abu Dhabi. With welcome media exposure highlighting the NICFC’s work with young people and families coping with the impact of cancer, the golf bag was later auctioned and the proceeds channeled towards the charity’s Daisy Lodge facility in Newcastle, County Down.
Since then, Rory, through his Foundation, has continued his interest in, and support of, the charity’s work. Indeed, following a series of events in Asia in the Autumn 2013, the pink golf shoes worn by Rory to highlight cancer awareness were auctioned with the proceeds again going to the NICFC.
During a Christmas visit home to see his family, Rory was keen to see for himself the progress being made at Daisy Lodge and meet with staff and those set to benefit from this unique facility. With a planned opening in the spring of 2014, Daisy Lodge will be the first of its kind in Europe to offer respite and support to young people and families having to manage the difficulties associated with cancer.
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014