VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland
February 27, 2014
Video reposted from The Rory Foundation.
At the beginning of 2013, The Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children (NICFC) became an early beneficiary of Rory’s decision to start his own charitable Foundation. The Rory Foundation, established to offer support to charities with a special meaning and purpose to Rory, offered the NICFC the opportunity to have their logo appear on Rory’s golf bag during his first European Tour event of 2013 in Abu Dhabi. With welcome media exposure highlighting the NICFC’s work with young people and families coping with the impact of cancer, the golf bag was later auctioned and the proceeds channeled towards the charity’s Daisy Lodge facility in Newcastle, County Down.
Since then, Rory, through his Foundation, has continued his interest in, and support of, the charity’s work. Indeed, following a series of events in Asia in the Autumn 2013, the pink golf shoes worn by Rory to highlight cancer awareness were auctioned with the proceeds again going to the NICFC.
During a Christmas visit home to see his family, Rory was keen to see for himself the progress being made at Daisy Lodge and meet with staff and those set to benefit from this unique facility. With a planned opening in the spring of 2014, Daisy Lodge will be the first of its kind in Europe to offer respite and support to young people and families having to manage the difficulties associated with cancer.
- Paul Casey Foundation committed to helping young people through sports 06/30/2015
- Compton's chance encounter with donor's aunt 06/25/2015
- DeLaet Foundation's 'Graham Slam' charity event set for July 9 06/24/2015
- Graham DeLaet wins $10K for charity from Travelers at The Umbrella at 15 ½ Challenge 06/24/2015
- VIDEO: Military moms treated to special baby shower at Travelers Championship 06/24/2015
- PGA TOUR players team up with RBC for online charity challenge 06/23/2015
- VIDEO: The Davis Love Foundation gives back 06/16/2015
- Wounded veterans honored by Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave during FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/11/2015
- 6-year-old boy to play 100 holes for cancer fundraiser 06/11/2015
- FedEx donates $1M to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 06/11/2015