VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland
February 27, 2014
Video reposted from The Rory Foundation.
At the beginning of 2013, The Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children (NICFC) became an early beneficiary of Rory’s decision to start his own charitable Foundation. The Rory Foundation, established to offer support to charities with a special meaning and purpose to Rory, offered the NICFC the opportunity to have their logo appear on Rory’s golf bag during his first European Tour event of 2013 in Abu Dhabi. With welcome media exposure highlighting the NICFC’s work with young people and families coping with the impact of cancer, the golf bag was later auctioned and the proceeds channeled towards the charity’s Daisy Lodge facility in Newcastle, County Down.
Since then, Rory, through his Foundation, has continued his interest in, and support of, the charity’s work. Indeed, following a series of events in Asia in the Autumn 2013, the pink golf shoes worn by Rory to highlight cancer awareness were auctioned with the proceeds again going to the NICFC.
During a Christmas visit home to see his family, Rory was keen to see for himself the progress being made at Daisy Lodge and meet with staff and those set to benefit from this unique facility. With a planned opening in the spring of 2014, Daisy Lodge will be the first of its kind in Europe to offer respite and support to young people and families having to manage the difficulties associated with cancer.
- G-Mac Foundation helps to raise $700K at the 2017 Best of Ireland Dinner 01/23/2017
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016