VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland
February 27, 2014
Video reposted from The Rory Foundation.
At the beginning of 2013, The Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children (NICFC) became an early beneficiary of Rory’s decision to start his own charitable Foundation. The Rory Foundation, established to offer support to charities with a special meaning and purpose to Rory, offered the NICFC the opportunity to have their logo appear on Rory’s golf bag during his first European Tour event of 2013 in Abu Dhabi. With welcome media exposure highlighting the NICFC’s work with young people and families coping with the impact of cancer, the golf bag was later auctioned and the proceeds channeled towards the charity’s Daisy Lodge facility in Newcastle, County Down.
Since then, Rory, through his Foundation, has continued his interest in, and support of, the charity’s work. Indeed, following a series of events in Asia in the Autumn 2013, the pink golf shoes worn by Rory to highlight cancer awareness were auctioned with the proceeds again going to the NICFC.
During a Christmas visit home to see his family, Rory was keen to see for himself the progress being made at Daisy Lodge and meet with staff and those set to benefit from this unique facility. With a planned opening in the spring of 2014, Daisy Lodge will be the first of its kind in Europe to offer respite and support to young people and families having to manage the difficulties associated with cancer.
- CBS Sports special focuses on PGA TOUR players’ charitable initiatives 07/28/2014
- Valspar Championship presented by BB&T raises $1.6 million for charity in 2014 07/28/2014
- Shaw Communications announces campaign to benefit Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation 07/25/2014
- BMW Championship exhibition raises $45,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 07/24/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives partner with Midwest Classic to create "Camp Quality Baskets" 07/23/2014
- Jarrod Lyle: A survivor seeking to help others 07/22/2014
- Fred Couples joins Snoqualmie Showdown charity event on August 4 07/22/2014
- Darren Clarke receives Golf Foundation's ‘Spirit of Golf’ award 07/21/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee visits The Greenbrier Classic 07/17/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour players shop for charity during Albertsons Boise Open 07/17/2014