PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- VIDEO: Justin Rose takes aim from 747 wing for charity 10/31/2014
- John Deere Classic announces $6.3M raised for charity in 2014 10/31/2014
- Fifth annual Battle of the Network Stars nets $10k for San Antonio charities 10/29/2014
- VIDEO: Shriners patient R.J. Wren plays alongside TOUR pros in Vegas 10/27/2014
- Travelers Championship announces record $1.5M raised for charity in 2014 10/27/2014
- 2014 Wells Fargo Championship distributes over $1 million to charities 10/23/2014
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014