PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- THE PLAYERS announces $8.5 million raised for charity in 2016 11/03/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016