PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- Vi at Silverstone holds “Putt for Charity” to promote Charles Schwab Cup Championship 10/21/2016
- PGA TOUR announces top tournament winners in the 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 10/20/2016
- Shaw Charity Classic shatters own record for charitable giving on PGA TOUR Champions 10/20/2016
- Travelers Championship generates a record $2.8 million for charity 10/18/2016
- Golf & Health Project launches to highlight how golf can benefit all 10/13/2016
- David Hearn Foundation donates $20,000 to Alzheimer Society of Canada 10/13/2016
- CHARMED Foundation delivers $25,000 donation to Tom Pernice Jr. Charities 10/10/2016
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016