PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014