PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- G-Mac Foundation helps to raise $700K at the 2017 Best of Ireland Dinner 01/23/2017
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016