PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am announces 2017 philanthropic partners 01/30/2017