PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015