PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic
February 27, 2014
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.-- On Wednesday at The Honda Classic, several PGA TOUR players found time to ditch the course and head to class.
As a show of support for the local community, James Driscoll, J.J. Henry and William McGirt spent time at Marsh Pointe Elementary School in Palm Beach Gardens, fielding questions and sharing stories with students and faculty of life as a PGA TOUR player.
Several other TOUR players were at nearby schools for the same reason.
“I have two young boys myself, so things like this really help keep it in perspective,” said Henry. “What a great group of kids. They asked great questions and helped us see that there really are more important things than just going out and hitting golf shots.”
“It’s a good energy,” Driscoll said. “You come into a school like this and there’s such a strong sense of optimism. It’s nice and refreshing to see and be around such young kids. It inspires us.”
“I remember what it was like growing up, so it’s fun to give back in this manner,” McGirt said. “To ever have a chance to speak to a professional athlete is something I know I always looked forward to. So, I think from that perspective, it meant as much to me as it did to them.”
Following the question-and-answer session, the players hung around to sign autographs and pose for pictures.
“We’re always grateful to have the opportunity to go out and give back to the communities we’re in,” Henry added.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015