Valero Texas Open's 'Birdies for Charity' campaign raises $1.8M for San Antonio charities
August 5, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – The Birdies for Charity campaign is one of several charitable initiatives organized and supported by the Valero Texas Open, providing over 115 worthy organizations throughout the greater San Antonio community and beyond with a fun and unique fundraising platform.
In 2014, the Valero Texas Open Birdies for Charity campaign raised over $1.84M for local participating charities and schools thanks to the support of thousands of donors. Individuals who made pledges or monetary contributions to Birdies for Charity had the chance to participate in one of several give-away contests provided by the Valero Texas Open.
One lucky donor won a brand new car through the Donor Attendance contest. Anyone who made a contribution to Birdies for Charity and attended at least one day of the Valero Texas Open (Thursday-Sunday) was entered into a grand prize drawing to win a brand new Ford Fiesta.
Thomas Cross, accompanied by his wife Angie, was greeted last Monday at Jordan Ford by representatives of the Valero Texas Open, New Life Children’s Center and Jordan Ford when they presented him keys to his new car.
A fan of golf, Cross regularly attends the Valero Texas Open, but after winning this year’s Donor Attendance contest, he vowed to be a spectator for life at the tournament. Cross is a full-time truck driver and firefighter for Kyle, Texas.
The Birdies for Charity donation that made winning this grand prize possible for Cross, was in support of New Life Children’s Center, a safe haven where abused, neglected and troubled young girls get a chance for a “new life.” New Life Children’s Center has participated in the Birdies for Charity fundraising program for over eight years.
In addition to the Donor Attendance contest, donors who made pledges or monetary contributions to Birdies for Charity had the opportunity to guess the number of birdies that were made during the Valero Texas Open’s tournament week (Pro-Am and Professional competitions) for a chance to win the Guess the Birdies contest prize, provided by TPC San Antonio and JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa. The “Stay and Play” prize package includes a three night stay at the host hotel of the Valero Texas Open along with rounds of golf at TPC San Antonio, treatments at the resort’s acclaimed Lantana Spa and daily breakfast for two guests.
With over 2,900 individual donors in the 2014 Birdies for Charity campaign, only one correctly guessed the birdie count (1,784 birdies).
Andrea Rodriguez’s Birdies for Charity donation supported The Children Shelter which puts children first by providing a safe, trauma-focused place for children in crisis whether the need is for immediate shelter, residential treatment, foster or adoptive homes. The Children’s Shelter has been a longtime participant in Birdies for Charity, dating back to 1999.
“The Valero Texas Open is always thrilled to give back to the San Antonio community through one of its unique fundraising programs,” explained Stephanie Sage, Marketing and Community Relations Director of the Valero Texas Open. “The Birdies for Charity campaign positively impacts the lives of thousands of San Antonians and Bexar County residents each year thanks to the incredible contributions made by individual and corporate donors.”
For more information about the Valero Texas Open and its Birdies for Charity program, please visit ValeroTexasOpen.com.
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016