The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014
August 26, 2014
DES MOINES, Iowa- The 2014 Principal Charity Classic generated a record $1,367,749 for Central Iowa children's charities, bringing the total donations raised from the PGA TOUR's Champions Tour event, sponsored by the Principal Financial Group and presented by Wells Fargo, to over $6.3 million. This is the fifth consecutive year the tournament broke the previous year's record for dollars raised for charity.
"The Principal Charity Classic is number one on the Champions Tour in tournament-generated proceeds to charity for the fourth year in a row. We're very grateful to our 308 sponsors, the 81 Champions Tour players who participated in this year's tournament, the more than 74,000 fans who attended and the 1,200-plus volunteers who helped make this possible, " said Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, The Principal.
"Wells Fargo is incredibly proud to be a part of The Principal Charity Classic, which does so much good for so many kids," said Dan Abbott, president of Retail Services, Wells Fargo. "The event is also a big boost to the Des Moines area, bringing in more than $20 million in economic impact and providing a fun event for all ages."
Donations from the 2014 tournament will be distributed to five "FORE Our Kids" charities, as well as 130 Birdies for Charity organizations.
The five "FORE Our Kids" charities include:
- Blank Children's Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety--the Children's Charity of Iowa
For more information on the charities and the tournament, visit principalcharityclassic.com.
- Meet Zurich Classic of New Orleans volunteer extraordinaire Kevin Block 04/28/2017
- ISPS HANDA World Cup of Golf donates $700,000 to The Handa Foundation 04/28/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017