PGA TOUR Wives build gardens at Louisville elementary
August 7, 2014
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- What do you get when you bring together 60 energetic and enthusiastic women who want to help feed children?
Plenty. For starters, you get nine vegetable gardens built and installed at Engelhard Elementary School in downtown Louisville.
The gardens came courtesy of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and the PGA of America Spouses, who partnered to work in the local community during the PGA Championship for the second year.
The charity supported on Wednesday was Blessings in a Backpack, a program that provides food for the weekend for children who would otherwise go hungry.
The women built the garden containers, filled them with soil and then planted assorted vegetables and herbs in the nine boxes. They spent time weeding and cleaning up the playground, as well.
Going forward, the gardens will be tended by the students. The food grown then will be used in the school cafeteria and sent home with the children.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association also donated and installed permanent benches to be used by the teachers as an outdoor learning area.
The work done on Wednesday is a part of the on-going collaboration between the two groups and supported by PGA Reach.
The Kentucky Section of the PGA of America will be supporting the Blessings program in the school for the next three years, assuring that the children will continue to receive nutrition during the weekend.
- Shaw Charity Classic shatters own record for charitable giving on PGA TOUR Champions 10/20/2016
- PGA TOUR announces top tournament winners in the 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 10/20/2016
- Travelers Championship generates a record $2.8 million for charity 10/18/2016
- David Hearn Foundation donates $20,000 to Alzheimer Society of Canada 10/13/2016
- Golf & Health Project launches to highlight how golf can benefit all 10/13/2016
- CHARMED Foundation delivers $25,000 donation to Tom Pernice Jr. Charities 10/10/2016
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016