PGA TOUR Wives build gardens at Louisville elementary
August 7, 2014
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- What do you get when you bring together 60 energetic and enthusiastic women who want to help feed children?
Plenty. For starters, you get nine vegetable gardens built and installed at Engelhard Elementary School in downtown Louisville.
The gardens came courtesy of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and the PGA of America Spouses, who partnered to work in the local community during the PGA Championship for the second year.
The charity supported on Wednesday was Blessings in a Backpack, a program that provides food for the weekend for children who would otherwise go hungry.
The women built the garden containers, filled them with soil and then planted assorted vegetables and herbs in the nine boxes. They spent time weeding and cleaning up the playground, as well.
Going forward, the gardens will be tended by the students. The food grown then will be used in the school cafeteria and sent home with the children.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association also donated and installed permanent benches to be used by the teachers as an outdoor learning area.
The work done on Wednesday is a part of the on-going collaboration between the two groups and supported by PGA Reach.
The Kentucky Section of the PGA of America will be supporting the Blessings program in the school for the next three years, assuring that the children will continue to receive nutrition during the weekend.
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017