PGA TOUR Wives build gardens at Louisville elementary
August 7, 2014
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- What do you get when you bring together 60 energetic and enthusiastic women who want to help feed children?
Plenty. For starters, you get nine vegetable gardens built and installed at Engelhard Elementary School in downtown Louisville.
The gardens came courtesy of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and the PGA of America Spouses, who partnered to work in the local community during the PGA Championship for the second year.
The charity supported on Wednesday was Blessings in a Backpack, a program that provides food for the weekend for children who would otherwise go hungry.
The women built the garden containers, filled them with soil and then planted assorted vegetables and herbs in the nine boxes. They spent time weeding and cleaning up the playground, as well.
Going forward, the gardens will be tended by the students. The food grown then will be used in the school cafeteria and sent home with the children.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association also donated and installed permanent benches to be used by the teachers as an outdoor learning area.
The work done on Wednesday is a part of the on-going collaboration between the two groups and supported by PGA Reach.
The Kentucky Section of the PGA of America will be supporting the Blessings program in the school for the next three years, assuring that the children will continue to receive nutrition during the weekend.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014