PGA TOUR Wives build gardens at Louisville elementary
August 7, 2014
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- What do you get when you bring together 60 energetic and enthusiastic women who want to help feed children?
Plenty. For starters, you get nine vegetable gardens built and installed at Engelhard Elementary School in downtown Louisville.
The gardens came courtesy of the PGA TOUR Wives Association and the PGA of America Spouses, who partnered to work in the local community during the PGA Championship for the second year.
The charity supported on Wednesday was Blessings in a Backpack, a program that provides food for the weekend for children who would otherwise go hungry.
The women built the garden containers, filled them with soil and then planted assorted vegetables and herbs in the nine boxes. They spent time weeding and cleaning up the playground, as well.
Going forward, the gardens will be tended by the students. The food grown then will be used in the school cafeteria and sent home with the children.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association also donated and installed permanent benches to be used by the teachers as an outdoor learning area.
The work done on Wednesday is a part of the on-going collaboration between the two groups and supported by PGA Reach.
The Kentucky Section of the PGA of America will be supporting the Blessings program in the school for the next three years, assuring that the children will continue to receive nutrition during the weekend.
- Help injured veterans by joining the World’s Largest Golf Outing on August 3 07/30/2015
- Woods, Fowler take on 19th hole for charity at Quicken Loans National 07/29/2015
- Quicken Loans continues commitment to providing access to military tickets for PGA TOUR events 07/28/2015
- Wyndham Championship takes on childhood hunger in North Carolina's Piedmont Triad 07/24/2015
- Over $500K donated through #RBCGolf4Kids charity challenge 07/23/2015
- David Hearn launches foundation in support of the Alzheimer Society 07/23/2015
- Honda Classic sets charity record despite massive storm 07/23/2015
- Justin Rose named 2015 Spirit of Golf award recipient 07/20/2015
- Birdies for Charity helps kids in the Quad Cities 07/10/2015
- Jordan Spieth to participate in Caddy For A Cure during Quicken Loans National pro-am 07/10/2015