Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge
August 21, 2014
PARAMUS, N.J.- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) and PGA TOUR pro Morgan Hoffmann are once again teaming up during The Barclays at The Ridgewood County Club to support a charitable cause through a Walking Challenge, and Horizon BCBSNJ will be getting spectators into the walking fitness spirit as well through a course challenge of their own.
Horizon BCBSNJ, the official health care sponsor of The Barclays, announced that it is making a $5,000 donation to the New Jersey Golf Foundation, an organization that removes barriers to bring the game of golf to children of all ages and backgrounds. Hoffmann, a Wyckoff native, also accepted Horizon BCBSNJ’s Walking Challenge to raise additional funds for the foundation as he competes with the world’s best golfers this week at Ridgewood – a course on which he learned and refined his game as a teenager in North Jersey. For every 10,000 steps that Hoffmann records on his pedometer during The Barclays, Horizon BCBSNJ will donate an additional $1,000 to the New Jersey Golf Foundation.
"We are delighted that Morgan has accepted the Walking Challenge, and we commend his commitment to his New Jersey roots and to giving back to the game," said Jonathan R. Pearson, Director of Corporate Philanthropy and Community Affairs for Horizon BCBSNJ. "As health care sponsor of The Barclays, we hope spectators will also become attuned to the physical fitness benefits of walking and accept their own challenge during the championship."
Spectators who come to the Horizon BCBSNJ Health and Wellness Expo at The Barclays can pick up a walking passport. If the fans get their passport stamped at five walk stations on the course, covering about two miles, they become eligible for a daily drawing for one of five FitBits.
"Working with Horizon has been a pleasure, and I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to participate in the Walking Challenge," said Hoffmann. "Having been a young golfer on this very course, I feel proud to be able to give back to what I hope will be some of our future PGA TOUR players."
Through the PGA TOUR’s charitable efforts, millions of dollars each year go back to communities where tour events like The Barclays are played, benefitting nearly 3,000 charities and countless individuals worldwide. In fact, the PGA TOUR recently celebrated crossing the $2 billion mark in charitable giving since the organization was founded.
"Good health, good golf and getting children involved and active in the game are perfect ingredients for this world class tournament in New Jersey," said Chris Hunt, Executive Director of the New Jersey Golf Foundation. "We’re very appreciative of the support from Horizon and Morgan, and we are pleased that the children we serve have such a positive role model to emulate."
In a Pedometer Challenge at The Barclays last year, Hoffman recorded 42,610 steps, raising $4,000, and bringing Horizon BCBSNJ’s total donation to the New Jersey Golf Foundation to $9,000.
This is the fifth year of the sponsorship between Horizon BCBSNJ and The Barclays. This year, Horizon BCBSNJ will be on site encouraging spectators to participate in a variety of health-related games and activities at its Health and Wellness Expo. The first 250 spectators entering the expo each day of tournament play will receive a personal pedometer.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015