RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities
April 17, 2014
TORONTO - Proving it's not just their play on the course, but what they do off the course that makes them good, 10 PGA TOUR members gathered in Hilton Head, S.C. this morning to launch #RBCGolf4Kids, a new online challenge designed to raise money and awareness for several children's charities.
#RBCGolf4Kids invites Team RBC golfers and the public to engage in a fun social media challenge. By sharing a unique player hashtag on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or at www.RBCmakeyourmark.com, fans can help their favourite player win a share of the $300,000 donation from RBC, for his or her charity of choice.
"This friendly competition off the course will require social media prowess in addition to top notch golf skills. You've heard of paying it forward, this is Team RBC playing it forward," said Jane Broderick, chief brand and communications officer, RBC. "With some of the game's most charitable golfers on our team, we know they are equally as committed as we are to making a difference in the lives of kids."
Golfers will compete in a series of entertaining weekly challenges - such as sharing their best Throwback Thursday (#TBT) photo or crazy trick shot video - and will challenge each other and fans to do the same. The ultimate winner will be determined by the player whose hashtag is used the most. The challenge launched on Wednesday at the RBC Heritage and will wrap up at the RBC Canadian Open, during the week of July 21 at the Royal Golf Club in Montreal, Quebec.
"I'm proud to be part of this unique program to support Blessings in a Backpack and all of the other incredible organizations that work tirelessly to help children," enthused Morgan Pressel, LPGA golfer and member of Team RBC. "I'm determined to make a difference and can't wait to take on my teammates in what promises to be one of the most heated competitions this summer."
"We're always delighted to see our sponsors and players engage in new campaigns to raise awareness and funds - like #RBCGolf4Kids - as golf has been intrinsically linked to philanthropy for decades," said Ty Votaw, EVP & chief global communications officer of the PGA TOUR. "The PGA TOUR and its tournaments recently surpassed the $2 billion milestone in all-time charitable giving and we're pleased to continue that legacy with this innovative competition."
With charities from around the world as potential benefactors, these are the organizations Team RBC is supporting:
|Team RBC Player||Charity||Hashtag|
|Stephen Ames||Hull Services||#RBCAmes|
|Graham DeLaet||Children's Hospital Foundation of
|Luke Donald||Ronald McDonald House Charities
Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana (RMHC-
|Ernie Els||Els For Autism||#RBCEls|
|Jim Furyk||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCFuryk|
|David Hearn||Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada||#RBCHearn|
|Hunter Mahan||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCMahan|
|Graeme McDowell||Children's Medical Research Foundation (CMRF)||#RBCMcDowell|
|Morgan Pressel||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCPressel|
|Brandt Snedeker||Our Kids||#RBCSnedeker|
|Mike Weir||Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation||#RBCWeir|
Visit rbcmakeyourmark.com for more information.
- PGA TOUR teams with Nike Oven to create unique Make-A-Wish experience for leukemia patient 08/28/2015
- VIDEO: 98-year-old Dick's Sporting Goods Open volunteer still going strong 08/28/2015
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- Wyndham Championship supports local Piedmont Triad community during tournament week 08/18/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence opens its doors to students 08/17/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives team with PGA of America spouses, Kohler to promote literacy 08/13/2015