RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities
April 17, 2014
TORONTO - Proving it's not just their play on the course, but what they do off the course that makes them good, 10 PGA TOUR members gathered in Hilton Head, S.C. this morning to launch #RBCGolf4Kids, a new online challenge designed to raise money and awareness for several children's charities.
#RBCGolf4Kids invites Team RBC golfers and the public to engage in a fun social media challenge. By sharing a unique player hashtag on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or at www.RBCmakeyourmark.com, fans can help their favourite player win a share of the $300,000 donation from RBC, for his or her charity of choice.
"This friendly competition off the course will require social media prowess in addition to top notch golf skills. You've heard of paying it forward, this is Team RBC playing it forward," said Jane Broderick, chief brand and communications officer, RBC. "With some of the game's most charitable golfers on our team, we know they are equally as committed as we are to making a difference in the lives of kids."
Golfers will compete in a series of entertaining weekly challenges - such as sharing their best Throwback Thursday (#TBT) photo or crazy trick shot video - and will challenge each other and fans to do the same. The ultimate winner will be determined by the player whose hashtag is used the most. The challenge launched on Wednesday at the RBC Heritage and will wrap up at the RBC Canadian Open, during the week of July 21 at the Royal Golf Club in Montreal, Quebec.
"I'm proud to be part of this unique program to support Blessings in a Backpack and all of the other incredible organizations that work tirelessly to help children," enthused Morgan Pressel, LPGA golfer and member of Team RBC. "I'm determined to make a difference and can't wait to take on my teammates in what promises to be one of the most heated competitions this summer."
"We're always delighted to see our sponsors and players engage in new campaigns to raise awareness and funds - like #RBCGolf4Kids - as golf has been intrinsically linked to philanthropy for decades," said Ty Votaw, EVP & chief global communications officer of the PGA TOUR. "The PGA TOUR and its tournaments recently surpassed the $2 billion milestone in all-time charitable giving and we're pleased to continue that legacy with this innovative competition."
With charities from around the world as potential benefactors, these are the organizations Team RBC is supporting:
|Team RBC Player||Charity||Hashtag|
|Stephen Ames||Hull Services||#RBCAmes|
|Graham DeLaet||Children's Hospital Foundation of
|Luke Donald||Ronald McDonald House Charities
Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana (RMHC-
|Ernie Els||Els For Autism||#RBCEls|
|Jim Furyk||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCFuryk|
|David Hearn||Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada||#RBCHearn|
|Hunter Mahan||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCMahan|
|Graeme McDowell||Children's Medical Research Foundation (CMRF)||#RBCMcDowell|
|Morgan Pressel||Blessings in a Backpack||#RBCPressel|
|Brandt Snedeker||Our Kids||#RBCSnedeker|
|Mike Weir||Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation||#RBCWeir|
Visit rbcmakeyourmark.com for more information.
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave teams with Callaway Golf to honor wounded heroes during DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/26/2016
- Texas native Ryan Palmer gets kids into the swing of things at DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/23/2016
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016