Inaugural Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs to benefit youth
April 3, 2014
IRVINE, Calif.- The Tiger Woods Foundation has announced the Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs, a year-long amateur golf series beginning in 2014. The event combines competition with fundraising and helps build awareness for the Tiger Woods Foundation and local youth charities.
Each regional qualifying tournament will fundraise and build awareness for the Tiger Woods Foundation and local youth charities, which were selected by regional committees. Funds will benefit the Tiger Woods Learning Centers and the Earl Woods Scholarship Program. The learning centers offer STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) courses such as robotics and graphic design to underserved youth nationwide, while the scholarship program provides mentors and funds to help send students to universities including Georgetown, USC, UC Berkeley, UCLA and Harvard.
Regional youth charities to benefit include The First Tee, Southern Nevada Golf Association, Kids on the Hill (PAL), New York Inner-City Scholarship Fund, Boys & Girls Club LA Alliance, Pepin Academies and the Jason Ackerman Foundation.
"Combining competition with philanthropy has been an amazing experience for me, and I look forward to seeing Charity Playoff competitors take on this challenge," Tiger Woods said. "Between the prestigious tournament venues and the chance to support a great cause, I'm excited to see participants enjoy this opportunity to give back."
Nationwide, two-person amateur teams will have the opportunity to enter regional qualifying tournaments with a base registration fee and the goal of obtaining charitable donations. Each team will have a personalized interactive website on twcharityplayoffs.com to help secure donations, and teams that raise $10,000 or more will automatically qualify for the Charity Playoff finals. Teams can also play their way into the Charity Playoffs finals, as the top low-net and the low-gross teams in each regional qualifying event will also advance.
The Charity Playoffs finals is an exclusive two-day golf and hospitality experience in Orlando, Fla., Dec. 1-2. Those competing in the finals will receive two days of golf in the Charity Playoffs finals, deluxe hotel accommodations at the Four Seasons Resort Orlando for two nights, gourmet hospitality and gifts. In addition, finalists will be treated to a private golf exhibition and reception with Tiger Woods and other PGA TOUR players, as well as clubhouse credentials with hospitality to attend the World Challenge golf tournament. Airfare and additional nights lodging are at the player's expense.
The top fundraising team nationally will also receive pro-am spots in each of the Tiger Woods Foundation pro-am events (Deutsche Bank Championship, Quicken Loans National and World Challenge).
Ten world-class golf courses will welcome participants:
- Cascata - Las Vegas, May 27 - Southern Nevada Golf Association, The First Tee of Southern Nevada
- Congressional Country Club - Washington, June 2 - Earl Woods Scholarship Program D.C. scholars and three D.C.-based Tiger Woods Learning Centers
- Merion Golf Club - Philadelphia, June 9 - Kids on the Hill (PAL), Philadelphia-based Tiger Woods Learning Center
- Trump National Golf Club - New York, July 21 - New York Inner-City Scholarship Fund
- Sherwood Country Club - Los Angeles, Sept. 15 - Boys & Girls Club LA Alliance, Tiger Woods Foundation's Summer Academy
- Pelican Hill Golf Club - Newport Coast, Calif., Sept. 22 - Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.
- Innisbrook Resort - Tampa, Fla., Oct. 13 - Pepin Academy, Jason Ackerman Foundation
- Myopia Hunt Club - Boston, Oct. 16 - Earl Woods Scholarship Program Boston scholars
- Finals: Lake Nona Golf and Country Club and Four Seasons Resort Orlando Golf Course - Orlando, Fla.
*Each tournament will benefit the Tiger Woods Foundation and local charities.
Registration for the Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs is now open. To sign up, please visit twcharityplayoffs.com.
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015
- Two real-life superheroes meet at the Wells Fargo Championship 05/13/2015